Viability of non-refrigerated liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreiz

Reaction score
A friend of mine ordered the beginning homebrew kit from Northern Brewer and upgraded to the Wyeast 3068 for his Dunkelweizen extract kit. Apparently, the yeast was shipped without an ice pack and the boxes have been sitting in his office for a couple of days. We're hoping to brew on the weekend, so I'm wondering if the yeast is still viable or whether we're better off getting a fresh tube from a LHBS.

you need to make a starter for liquid in any event; so i'd try that today and if it is not viable you can pick one up at LHBS.

The yeast should be fine. I've successfully made starters out of the bottom of a bottle of naturally conditioned beer that I have kept unrefrigerated for several months. Who knows how long it stood on the shelf in the store before I used it. You should always make a starter with liquid yeast.

-a.

Latest posts

Back