Can someone calculate a potential FG for this recipe please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewin06111

Reaction score
Here is my extract recipe for an APA

If it matters I started with a full boil.

Specialty Grains:
1.5 Crystal 15L
8 OZ Honey Malt

LME:
8 lbs Ultralight

Hops:
2 oz cascade @60
2 oz willamette @ 5
2 oz cascade @ 1

My OG was 1.062 and it has been in the primary 3 weeks. The gravity reading today was 1.012 and I am checking it again in 3 days before I bottle. I'm pretty sure this is a safe zone for this recipe but at the same time was wondering how I would know in the future what it should be. Or any recipe for that matter The sample was really good and I am looking forward to it. I used US-05 yeast and fermented at 64-65 the entire time. I have read countless threads about the 1.02 curse and this batch did not suffer from that.

Thanks in advance

I can't find the expected attenuation numbers for S-05, but I've read it's the same as 1056 which has a normal attenuation range of 73% to 77%.

When I enter 1.062 OG & 1.012 FG into beersmith it comes up with 80% apparent attenuation which is over the 77% of 1056.

I would say if you have 3 days at 1.012 you're good to go for bottling.

Yeast attenutation. It's how much of the sugars in your wort will be digested by the yeast, basically. I think US-05 has about 75-85% attenuation, which means that it will bring it 75-85% of the way from your OG (1.062 this time) to 1.000. It won't be exactly the same for each batch, that's why they give you the ballpark number. Plenty of variables and all. You're pretty close to the middle of that range, so it might be done.

Making beer has a lot of math, which is both a good and bad thing...

Also, I feel silly when somebody beats me to a reply...

Making beer does not involve a lot of math unless you choose to do it (and I do, but that's beside the point). If the hydrometer reading is stable for 3-5 days, the beer is done. No math required.

Making beer does not involve a lot of math unless you choose to do it (and I do, but that's beside the point). If the hydrometer reading is stable for 3-5 days, the beer is done. No math required.

What about stuck fermentations? (playing Devil's Advocate here... Just wondering how I know if it's truly stuck or not.. I know this one isn't since it's 1.012 currently)

Latest posts

Back