Too much time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristofer

Reaction score
Hello to all!!! Wanted to get some answers from real people that know and are a whole lot more experienced than I. I started making about 8 different wines in August of 2013, and did everything by the book with when to add certain chemicals and whatnot. It is now january and I haven't done the last step before bottling. I haven't added the kc finings in yet for clarity. I've kept it in almost complete darkness and about a constant 72 degrees F all of this time with airlocks on all of the time. Wanting to know if I have screwed up by doing this or is my wine still ok given all info above? Thank you for all your advise from people that know.

Are these kits or recipies or just something you whipped up? As long as they are not setting on a thick layer of yeasts you are fine. You could actually just keep racking them as needed when they drop out sediment unless these are kits then just move onto the next step as some of them need the sediment to help clear. A few more details would be nice. Do you know the starting and ending gravities of any of these? WVMJ

I do know all the starting and ending sg of each. Without going to my log book, I can tell you that the ending ones are all .990 and have been that way since the last time I check in August of 2013. These are recipes from a wine book using fresh fruit and following all instructions pertaining to chemicals according to batch size. My final step is to do the kc finings and then re-rack and sweeten to taste before bottling. Just want to make sure I've not waited too long to do that last step.

kristofer said:
I do know all the starting and ending sg of each. Without going to my log book, I can tell you that the ending ones are all .990 and have been that way since the last time I check in August of 2013. These are recipes from a wine book using fresh fruit and following all instructions pertaining to chemicals according to batch size. My final step is to do the kc finings and then re-rack and sweeten to taste before bottling. Just want to make sure I've not waited too long to do that last step.

If the wine is clear then no need for any kv finings. Wine left alone in an airlocked carboy is happy wine. Just rack if off any sedament, add sorbate and sulfa if backsweetening. Wait a day and then backsweeten.

Latest posts

Back