Burned & ruined element = ruined batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olsenius

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a setup with 34l kettle and a 2500w element that i brew with.

Yesterday while mashing i ruined my heating element. I think it is because of too much weight on it and/or because the shield i have between the element and BIAB-bag slipped away. I also burned some small holes in my bag.

I'm afraid that the ruined element might have put some unsafe metals in my beer. Is it safe to ferment and drink the beer?

Last edited by a moderator:
First, let me say that I am not a Doctor (obligitory "spent the night at a Holiday Inn" reference here).

Second, I don't think you have to worry. These elements are designed to be in domestic hot-water heaters, where they sit for years and years and years and people drink the water all day long. I cannot see an element getting through even the loosest of regulations if it contained unsafe metals that could cause harm or death.

Also caveating with *i'm not a medical professional, or an electrician.* To me it looks a little bent, but not ruined by any means. Does it still fire? I've seen pictures on here that are much worse. if there aren't any holes in anything you should be ok. My element has gotten significantly more burned in the past, and i've seen much uglier ones on the forums.

Maybe test it out with some cheap wort and see if you get an ashy/burnt flavor. If it doesn't taste bad, you're not ruining the flavor of the beer.

If you can't see any holes burned through the outer skin of the element, you may be ok.
Any burn-through the outer element skin means liquid will get saturate the inner insulating layer that covers the actual energized element that underneath.
This creates a current path to ground, which will trip a breaker of GFCI.

On the other hand, if you have any question at all about whether its still good, these heating elements are pretty inexpensive to replace.

Thanks for the help guys.

After a closer inspection of the element i can see a small hole in the protective layer where the element have widened ~50%. When i measure resistance there is a short between one pole and ground. When i plug it in the breaker goes off.

I have a new element ready to mount for my next brew day, but of course i will have to protect it with a false bottom of some kind first to avoid the same problem.

I dry hopped and added yeast to the batch yesterday, but i am not 100% sure i will drink it when it is finished.

I'm still going with the "it's fine" opinion, based on the fact that these heating elements are for use in domestic water supplies. If the only thing protecting you from certian death or illness is a thin protective coating, then I would imagine there would have been a LOT of lawsuits and we wouldn't use them anymore.

I don't think water heaters were designed to provide drinking water. Probably won't kill you though.

+1
If part like a water heater element is a component of a home or business potable water system it has to rated for this use.

Back