Brewing Log

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmaster101

Reaction score
I Started using the "BrewR" app for making recipes and keeping a log of my brewing.
Seems to be a pretty solid app with room to expand.
The app allows you to add ingredients not listed in the database.
How do I find out the SRM of various extract kits sold in kits?

By looking at the individual components on websites. I would advise against an electronic means to log your brew days. Several months ago my laptop had an irrecoverable failure and I lost over 2 years worth of brew data. I'm still bitter and angry about it. Pen and paper works just fine...

I have a notebook in which I jot down my recipes, water volumes, and brew day notes. Everything gets transcribed back into BeerSmith with my recipes in my Dropbox folder. I think my notebook is more likely to bite the dust than my electronic recipe folder. I also like being able to organize into folders in BeerSmith for recipes I want to brew soon, recipes that need to be tweaked, and recipes that are great and should be brewed again.

By looking at the individual components on websites. I would advise against an electronic means to log your brew days. Several months ago my laptop had an irrecoverable failure and I lost over 2 years worth of brew data. I'm still bitter and angry about it. Pen and paper works just fine...

Some sort of free data backup service work great for preventing such failures. I use dropbox, and have two main folders: beer and school. As soon as I save anything to either (provided I'm connected to the internet), its automatically uploaded to a server whence I can access it from any computer on the internet. I also have my beer folder shared with my brew buddy, so he can see/download the labels I make, add notes to our file after he brews, etc.

I have a paper brew log that I take notes in during the brew, but I also input the info into my comouter, so I have both a paper and electronic copy.

Sometimes it is fun to just pull out the paper one and thumb through it.

I use Ibrewmaster which is portable allowing me to look at recipes at work and dream that I'm brewing. It has features that allow me to print/email individual batches/recipes and there is a XML inport/export feature- which should allow you to transfer info off the app- so if it crashed you wouldn't lose information.

I haven't used paper since I got this app. Paper seems so... 20th century. ;)

Back