love probe vs thermowell doesn't fit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm doing a test run of my brutus, and the love probe won't fit into the thermowell in the lids. Does anyone know if these from brewershardware.com will fit in a standard thermowell from northernbrewer?
http://www.brewershardware.com/4-Temperature-Sensor-LOVE-TS-with-M8-Disconnect-Cable.html

will they work for the brutus love controllers?

thanks

You have to remove the black vinyl coating on the Love probes to fit the thermowell. Just use a small file or sand paper and get it back down to the brass. After that, check your thermowell to make sure the opening is .250. When they flare the end, (if you have that type) it sometimes reduces the entrance to the well. You may have to open that up as well.

thanks. I did remove the vinyl coating and it still wasn't very close to fitting. I'm not sure what the size os the thermowells are. I got them from northern brewer and they don't list the diameter. I'm sure its standard across the home brew board though. Plus, after removing the vinyl, the temps are reading correctly. I figure, if I can just find a temp probe that fits the thermowell, it would be an easy solution. FWIW, the prob fits the tee thermowell fine, which seems to be the issue other people have had.

They sell ones without the coating on it. The TS1 probe is exactly 1/4" OD and is brass w/ no coating. It fits down most dip tubes, not some though.

I'd buy one from brewersharware though. Shipping/handling from Dwyer (even on a $7 probe) is $14.50.

(Having to have a thermowell re-welded because of this very issue, I'd now always choose to buy the probe & thermowell from the same person or at least mail the probe to whom your buying a thermowell from, if you have the choice)

Back