Aging a Maibock/Helles Bock, the EndGame...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xinunix

Reaction score
Ok, hoping my question will not be interpreted as a typical "should I use a secondary" question.

For my 10th extract brew I went with a slightly bigger beer than anything I have brewed so far with a maibock/helles bock, according to BeerSmith it looks like it will come out around 7% ABV.

One thing to be aware of is that I ended up using a dry ale yeast (US-05) rather than a lager yeast and am fermenting it on the low end of its range (apprx 64) hoping for the best but I am fully aware that at the end of the day I will have a bock recipe with an ale yeast ;)

After my first hombrew and a lot of reading on this forum I gave up on the secondary and went to 3 weeks in the primary, 3 weeks in bottle and I have been pleased with the beers I have been making that way.

I know that bigger beers generally improve/mellow greatly with age and I think I have read that a long lagering period is usually recommended for this style. Given that this won't actually be a lager since I went with an ale yeast I am not sure what my endgame should be for this beer.

Should I go with my standard 3/3? Would you recommend an extended secondary for this specific beer? Should I secondary at colder temps? Cold Crash? If so, when?

Just wondering if I should deviate from my standard process since this is 1) supposed to be a lager and 2) a bigger beer.

Back