Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it but be advised I think it has a sweet aroma and my beer both times I used it tasted sweeter tha expected. I made a wheat porter with it and it turned out lovely!! @ pounds did a nice job. I also made a brown ale with 4 pounds of this stuff and it also turned out really good. Let us know what you make.

Richie

I have not used it, but they had a Rauch-esque beer on tap at Rebel that was made from this. It may just be my mind wanting to taste fruit after hearing the "cherrywood" descriptor, but I did think it had some underlying esters that were quite pronounced.

Just today I started thinking about a smoked porter split - one batch with cherry wood and one batch with the alderwood smoked munich.

Awesome. It's been awhile since I've made a smoke ale, I'll probably go with an american amber and add a pound of smoked malt. mmm...tasty...

Made a smoked molasses porter with it turned out great. Nice smoke addition.

Drinking a smoked stout now made with Briess cherrywood smoked malt. (This recipe has been scaled up from 3 gallons, hence the weird weights.) Highly recommend this recipe!

Jump Over the Candlestick Stout
Marris Otter (Crisp), 5.12 lbs
Cherrywood smoked malt (Briess), 3.84 lbs
Flaked barley, 1.92 lbs
Roasted barley, 1.28 lbs
Special B, 0.64 lbs
Brown malt, 0.64 lbs

Yakima goldings (90 min), 1.5 oz (4.2% actual AA)
Yakima goldings (30 min), 1.5 oz (4.2% actual AA)

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast
pitched at 61.1°F

Mashed 60 minutes at 152°F.
OG = 1.062
FG = 1.013
% abv = 6.4%
% attenuation = 78.4%
% mash efficiency = 71.9%
carbonated to 2.5 volumes CO2

I've used it twice. Once in the irish dry stout, and once in a brown porter. Both turned out great. A little goes a long way though; 1/2 lb in the stout and 3/4 lb in the porter and the malt is very obvious - both 10 gallon batches.

drinking a smoked ipa made w/ 1#... noticing a little smoke flavor and aroma (little) but a sweetness I've never had before in any beer. The smoke compliments the beer nicely, but I'm not loving the sweetness... but it's only been 2 days in keg :)

Back