Another Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col224

Reaction score
I bought a recipe kit from midwest and I'm making a starter for it. Do I just use a bit of the DME(Or Should I use LME) from the kit?

Will it affect the taste of the beer? Or should I replace the amount of malt extract I use for the starter?
(I'm pouring off the beer from the starter and just using the yeast)

Just going to make sure that the recipe kit from Midwest has liquid yeast. If it is dry yeast, you should not make a starter, but instead just rehydrate the yeast.

If it is liquid yeast, then just use some DME. You can just pour the whole thing into your fermenter as there will not be that much in the starter (unless you are making a large beer). It shouldn't affect the taste at all unless your starter is huge due to the aforementioned large beer. Hope that helps!

I bought a recipe kit from midwest and I'm making a starter for it. Do I just use a bit of the DME(Or Should I use LME) from the kit?

Will it affect the taste of the beer? Or should I replace the amount of malt extract I use for the starter?
(I'm pouring off the beer from the starter and just using the yeast)

For my starters I use 1 cup DME to one quart of water. Bring it to a boil and cool it to between 80 degrees and your fermentation temp. Then pitch the yeast and airlock it or put a sanitized balloon over the container you are using for the starter. 24-48 hours later when your starter has some good activity pitch it. Remember to give the starter container a swirl whenever you pass by or use a stir plate if you have one.-

It shouldn't affect the taste of the beer and you don't need to replace anything because it all ends up in your beer one way or another.

Can you use corn sugar for making a starter? That would be really convenient for me if there is not much difference

ok, thanks for answering that. I wasn't planning on pouring the starter until I heard that it will affect the taste of the beer.

If your starter is less that 48 hours I would definitely pitch the entire thing, as some of the yeast is probably suspended in it. If it's older and has all settled out you can go with just the slurry, but 1 liter isn't gonna do harm.

I'm headed to home depot in a couple of hours to get the makings of a stir plate.

Latest posts

Back