seeking advice on concord wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loftybrewer

Reaction score
I'm making a wine for my mother. She wants an American variety, and my LHBS has what they call New York Varietals available in 6 gallon pails. I've decided on Concord. I don't want to make Manischewitz, so I want to mix it up somehow. It comes pre-innoculated (which I am not too happy about), but I am considering adding oak and brettanomyces bruxellensis after a few months of fermentation to maybe dry it out and add complexity. I am just wondering if anyone had any thoughts? I've never made a wine before btw...

I'm making a wine for my mother. She wants an American variety, and my LHBS has what they call New York Varietals available in 6 gallon pails. I've decided on Concord. I don't want to make Manischewitz, so I want to mix it up somehow. It comes pre-innoculated (which I am not too happy about), but I am considering adding oak and brettanomyces bruxellensis after a few months of fermentation to maybe dry it out and add complexity. I am just wondering if anyone had any thoughts? I've never made a wine before btw...

I make a concord wine often. It does have a "manishewitzish" flavor but if you don't sweeten it so much it's not exactly like that.

I've never used brett in wine, but I use oak on occasion. My experience is that concord wine isn't "big" enough to use oak. It's light, tart (when unsweetened) and not a big bold red that can take much oaking.

Back