PM Zombie Dust clone - Does this look OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnieZ

Reaction score
New Recipe
American IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (G): 5.0
Total Grain (lb): 8.950
Total Hops (oz): 3.75
Original Gravity (OG): 1.065 (°P): 15.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.39 %
Colour (SRM): 7.9 (EBC): 15.6
Bitterness (IBU): 54.2 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
5.000 lb Dry Malt Extract - Light (55.87%)
3.000 lb Pilsner (33.52%)
0.700 lb Crystal 10 (7.82%)
0.250 lb Melanoidin (2.79%)

Hop Bill
----------------
0.75 oz Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.25 oz Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)
0.75 oz Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.50 oz Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 3 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)
1.50 oz Citra Pellet (11.1% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.3 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 151°F for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 68°F with Wyeast 1056 - American Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Going to the brew store after work and I'd like some input as to if this sounds like it would turn out to be a decent beer or what you might add / subtract?

I don't know if the LHBS has the Melanoidan malt, if not I might just have to skip or put a little more Pilsner or Crystal in. This is my first attempt at creating a recipe, so take it easy on me!

I believe I came up with this recipe on my own. It's been a while since I brewed this and unfortunately it was a solo brew and I didn't keep good notes.

I did a lot of research on various styles and I'm sure I got some input from various recipies when creating this one. Basically it was a solid pale ale base that I decided to single hop.

What I can tell you from this brew is this:
I skipped on the Melonodin Malt.

I ended up using Wyeast 1026 (1029 maybe?) London Ale instead of the 1056.

My closet for weeks kept the perfect fermentation temp, around 62-64 degrees, but we had unseasonable warmth during initial and active fermentation which brought the temp up about 10 degrees higher than I would have liked.

The beer came out a nice color and smelled fantastic. However, it just had too much Citra hop flavor for me. I love hops - I generally drink nothing but Pale Ales / IPAS / IIPAS but this was just too hoppy for me. Maybe it needed more on the malt / alcohol side or just less hops. I also dry hopped with pellet hops as that's the only Citra's I had available to me, and I think it sat for 2 weeks on those as time got away from me so that might have made a difference.

The beer started out at 1.069 and finished around 1.017.

Compared to ZD I would pick the ZD every time. A buddy of mine said he liked it, admitted it wasn't the best effort, but was a very drinkable beer.

I think if I made it again I'd search out some leaf citra for dry hopping, reduce it by .25oz and definitely keep better track of time dry hopping.

If you happen to be in Chicagoland, there's bottles left you're welcome to try!

On that note, the brew is about 3 months old now. I'm going to put one in the fridge and try it this week / weekend and see how it is a few months later. I wil report back.

Back