So how long will fresh hops last for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsuyako

Reaction score
So my UPS guy gave me a gallon size zip top bag full of Cascade hops and I was wondering how long they would last for? Not sure when I'll be able to brew again but I don't want them to go bad. Any ideas on those who use fresh hops?

The day I got my fresh hops I stuck them in the freezer since I knew I wasn't going to be able to brew for at least 3-4 days. Turns out I had to make a last minute trip out of town and it was about 10 days before I could brew. I made my batch on labor day and while initially they didn't smell that fresh once they warmed back up they smelled fresh again.

I'll have to see how the batch turns out to know how good it really worked. Of course if you don't do anything with them they will go bad pretty quick, at least stick them in the fridge

10 days? Dude, they're like still brand new. I made an IPA a few months ago with two and a half YEAR old hops and it came out great.

Keep them in the freezer. Keep them sealed. If you have a vacuum sealer, vacuum seal them. They'll last a good long time.

Unless by "fresh hops" you mean undried/wet hops. In that case, I'm not sure of the shelf life.

Why does your UPS guy have all these hops that he was giving to you? I realize it's most likely a delivery from an order but you wrote it like you are buddies and he just happened to have this random bag of hops he wanted to throw your way. Just curious.

Maybe your FedEx guy has a bag a weed for you! ;):p

10 days? Dude, they're like still brand new. I made an IPA a few months ago with two and a half YEAR old hops and it came out great.

Keep them in the freezer. Keep them sealed. If you have a vacuum sealer, vacuum seal them. They'll last a good long time.

Unless by "fresh hops" you mean undried/wet hops. In that case, I'm not sure of the shelf life.

When I hear fresh hops I always assume they are wet.

So my UPS guy gave me a gallon size zip top bag full of Cascade hops . . .

Tsuyako - I envy you for your UPS guy! I can hardly get mine to deliver packages to me (half the time I have to go to the distribution center and pick them up.)

As for your question, I'd freeze them in smaller packages.

Thanks guys,

As for my UPS guy yes were buddies. He is a hombrewer as well and he gave them to me when he was picking up our packages at work. BTW on of my co-workers thought is was weed...

Back