Nottingham yeast with Apfelwine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agroff383

Reaction score
Anybody ever use Nottingham instead of Montrachet or any other wine yeast for their Apfelwine? Just wondering how it would taste and if it would be less wine-like yeah I know it is called Apfelwine for a reason!

Also would champagne yeast work?

I used it,and i was not impressed.

I want to try it but not if too many people have feelings like this. I just don't want to waste a bunch of money on it to turn out like crap, which is why I asked, I like it with Montrachet, but thought maybe I could try to make something better...thanks everyone for the input.

I have a batch of Apfelwein brewed with Notty and one with Monty both one right now. Both are still pretty young, 2 months, and the Notty is 7.1% vs. the Monty's 8.5. All that said, I think they are both tasty.

The notty batch has a more distinctive apple flavor and is more tart than the monty. I don't think you can go wrong with either (I've also found champagne yeast tasty). SWMBO definitely prefers the Notty batch, though.

Back