Aluminum pot and plate chiller left in star san overnight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cmac132

Reaction score
After completing a brew day that did not go at all as planned, I quickly cleaned up and stupidly left my plate chiller in and aluminum pot with starsan. (I realize I shouldn't have had the starsan in an aluminum pot) I woke up the next morning realizing what i did and pulled the plate chiller out. I really don't care about the pot I have a new SS kettle, but I am concerned about the plate chiller (this was the first time I used it), is the chiller ruined? I have back washed it, but is there anything else I should do to clean it?

Soak in oxyclean or PBW. Then rinse well. It should be good.

Why was it sitting in Starsan? Starsan is a sanitizer not a cleaner.

Kh54 I was going to rinse it in starsan before I put it up, how would you recommend cleaning it? I am kind of on my own and learn from either reading online or from a book or by making stupid mistakes.

I would say that most use Oxyclean (the unscented kind) SunClean or something like that is Walmart's brand. It is cheaper than PBW (powdered Brewery wash) available from LHBSes and online stores. PBW seems to be the second most popular. Soaking in either one, maybe overnight, will loosen all the gunk.

Starsan is an acid solution to kill the bacteria, it is not good for cleaning.

Save the Starsan for sanitizing any equipment before it touches the wort any time after the boil. A spray bottle and a quick spritz wait 30 seconds and it is good.

To save the aluminum kettle, just give it a quick scrub to remove anything that might be sticking to it (like a filmy layer), then fill it up with water and let it stay at a rolling boil for 1-2 hours - this should re-establish the oxidation layer that the StarSan ate away.

I know you said you have a SS kettle on the way - but just in case you want to sell it to another aspiring brewer, from your local club or online or what-not, or use it as a spare kettle, etc. this will bring it back to life for ya.

Back