Anyone else's LHBS do this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tv187u

Reaction score
I just purchased four bags of grain and don't even have to store it! My LHBS is keeping record in a data base and gives me a card with the weights that are left in each bag. They don't keep the bags themselves you just pull your grain from their supplies and the deduct it from the quota you purchased. Bulk prices w/o the hassle of storage. My LHBS is quite close to me so stopping by is not a problem.

I just purchased four bags of grain and don't even have to store it! My LHBS is keeping record in a data base and gives me a card with the weights that are left in each bag. They don't keep the bags themselves you just pull your grain from their supplies and the deduct it from the quota you purchased. Bulk prices w/o the hassle of storage. My LHBS is quite close to me so stopping by is not a problem.

That is a great deal.

If I owned a LHBS I might give a discount that way, but not as much as bulk pricing.

Very cool. And smart! Guarantees you'll go back to them each time you brew.

Very cool. I've heard of places doing that where you can "buy" a sack of grain. Wish I could do that at mine. Ie would be nice for specialty malts, especially if you could use it for multiple types.

I only buy bulk in the base grains (2 row, morris, etc) so I wouldn't be able to state what exactly happens when they don't have what you purchased. They are a very well stocked shop that has a massive store room so I doubt they will run out of any of their grain unless there is a nation wide shortage or something. There isn't any extra charge for it and the pricing is really close to anything I have been able to find online for full sack purchases (two to five $ more). Which seems standard for LHBS.

Very cool. And smart! Guarantees you'll go back to them each time you brew.

Exactly! Who actually walks into a homebrew store and sticks to an actual list? (I need a coupla these, a few of those, and some of this... :eek: )

But ya, that's great a great idea.

My LHBS has "grain cards". Essentially you pay $70 up front for the next $100's worth of grains (base and specialty are priced the same). It's like buying in bulk (kind of--still not as cheap as buying sacks of base grain in bulk) without having to store more than one recipe's worth. Not sure if I fully understand the system you're describing but this one's nice because you don't have your own bag that will sit there getting old. You just get to pick up what you need from the circulating stock.

EDIT: OK I don't know why I was confused but seems like your LHBS's system is like mine. Rock on.

Back