Hop Aroma in a Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amartinez

Reaction score
So I've got an IPA that I kegged about a month ago (I don't usually drink slowly, but I've got a Blonde on the other tap that I've been favoring) and I've noticed that now almost all of the hop flavor and aroma that it had when I first kegged it is gone. There's about a third of the keg left and I was thinking about just tossing some cascade into a bag and dropping it in there, but I don't know how long it would take to pick up the flavor when it's cold. Would it even be worth it or should I just choke down the bitter malty brew as it stands now and drink faster next time?

I say throw some hops in. You should see some aroma change almost immediately, maybe up to about a week. Maybe a half oz?

There are vials of hop extract you can buy from various places. They are expensive, though, and I'm not sure entirely how long they last for.

That looks awesome! But I think it's a bit more work than I was looking to put into it tonight.

I've known about the hop oils, but I've got some whole leaf cascade hops sitting around already, so I'd rather do that just so I don't have to go and buy more stuff. I'll try dropping a half to an ounce tonight and see if that helps it out.

Thanks for the responses all :)

did you try to dry hop in keg? Thats where I would start. You can leave hops in keg untill its empty. Intense aroma this way. I used to dry hop in carboy but now dry hop in kegs only to maximize results

+1 to tossing some hops into the keg. I''d imagine you'll get some aroma almost immediately with it peaking at 7-10 days like dryhopping in a carboy. Although, I've admittedly never tried this myself.

I am drinking an IPA right now, my first one actually. I dry hopped for 10 days in a keg at room temp and now its been in a keg for 2 weeks or so. With time the aroma gets reduced significantly.

I had the same issue with a black IPA I brewed a few months ago. I had about a gallon and a half left and there wasn't much flavor or aroma. I just took an ounce of cascade, tossed it in a muslin bag, then tossed that straight into the keg. I let it sit for a few days and it worked out pretty well.

I am drinking an IPA right now, my first one actually. I dry hopped for 10 days in a keg at room temp and now its been in a keg for 2 weeks or so. With time the aroma gets reduced significantly.

well, thats where your problem. My kegs usually don't last that long :D
Here the question, sounds like you remove hops after 10 days in keg? I would leave them there till keg is empty, it makes difference

Last night I dropped about a 3rd of an ounce of whole leaf cascades into the keg and within an hour it was tasting a smelling much better.

Thanks as always for the top notch advice from this forum!

Put the hops in a hop bag / cheese cloth / whatever and put something in (people recommend sanitized / boiled marbles a lot, that works for me) it that will weight it down. It will end up right by the dipstick and you will pick up on the dry hop immediately.

Just toss them in and deal with a pint or two of sediment?

I would advise NOT to toss them in without a bag. You asking for problems this way. If dip tube clogs you will be pulling the hair out finding way to clean it. I just buy knee high nylons from Walmart, $1 for a pair. Boil them quickly to sanitize and tie them up from keg lid

You don't want the hops in the keg too long or they will begin to release grassy flavors. Some say they don't notice that, but I do. I put waiting kegs in the refrigerator, when almost ready to put on tap within a 4-5 days, I drop a bag (fine screen) with 1/2 oz hops and some heavy stainless steel bolts into the keg very slowly with a long piece of sewing thread so it can be lowered carefully. Boil everything...the bag, thread, bolts and wash your hands well with sanitizer.

I do this and a gelatin cold crash and in 5 days I have crystal clear hoppy beer. At most I use 3/4 oz of hops (pellet) Your first full glass will have to be dumped, but that's all.

Last night I dropped about a 3rd of an ounce of whole leaf cascades into the keg and within an hour it was tasting a smelling much better.

Thanks as always for the top notch advice from this forum!

Great move. I always DH straight in the keg. Within the first week of doing this with about 2oz it is extremely hoppy, but mellows out into perfection within 2 weeks. I tend to leave the hops in until I've kicked the keg, and I have never had any ill effects from this ie...grassy flavor or vegtable flavors.

The keg will usually last 1 month to two months.

Back