Antique capper issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIBeer

Reaction score
Hi folks - here's my latest problem. I picked up an Everready antique capper via ebay. I tried it out for the first time the other day, and was not pleased with the results. It seems to crimp the caps just fine, but it won't let go of the capped bottles. I have to apply enough twisting force that I'm afraid that I'm going to break the bottle. Any ideas on how to fix this? :confused:

The whole unit is pretty clean and appears to be in almost perfect condition no rust at all. Must be a penetration problem. Any ideas on how thick the washer should be?

I'm guessing that it should be a fairly hard rubber washer that won't give too much?

Thanks for the measurements on the fly! I'lll give it a shot tomorrow- there's a real hardware store in town that will have what I need. Cheers!

Mine doe snot have a washer in it. I got it from a guy who got it from a yard sale. I cleaned it up and oiled it down with some WD40. Sometime a cap will stick a bit but if I move it side to side it comes out nicely. I will try a rubber washer though.

Finally had a chance to pick up some hose gaskets - two of the stacked seem to do the job. Thanks for the great tip. Can't wait to see how much faster this will make bottling 10gal batches....

Back