Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many people here have bought new skates, then had another $100 dollars of work done to the blades (re-grinding contour & matching the lengths) to get them right for your liking and skating style/ability?

How many people here have bought new skates, then had another $100 dollars of work done to the blades (re-grinding contour & matching the lengths) to get them right for your liking and skating style/ability?

You paid $100 for that? Cost me $40, and since that includes a sharpening, it really only costs $35.

The place I got my CCM U+ it's free with your skate purchase. Otherwise, its $30 for blade profiling. Then again I do live in the state of hockey!

paulster2626 said:
Well, if you and I are playing hockey and I put these skates on, I would gain an advantage over you by being a tad faster - at least that's how it is supposed to work. But if you go and buy the same skates, then you're just as much faster as I am. Now we've just increased the price of playing hockey by $400. Sweet.

There's a good reason why this idea died 4 years ago.

You could say the same thing about any piece of equipment. The reason this doesn't ever happen, assuming they actually confer an advantage, is because unless they're banned, there will always be someone who wants to gain an advantage, and will do what is necessary. This forces everybody else to eventually do it as well. I could explain it in terms of game theory even, but the point is that "nobody using them" is not a stable status. Even if most players agree not to use them in order to keep costs down (and really, $400 is nothing in the NHL), somebody would still go ahead and do it, simply because nobody else is. The ONLY stable scenario is one where everybody does it. This same idea can be applied to anything which is considered competitive - free markets, evolution, etc.

It's not even about gaining an advantage though. It can't be. Any performance change is simply about minimizing limits on the players, to make skill and ability the only thing that matters. In fact, if there was a piece of equipment that gave players an appreciable advantage and it WASN'T available to everyone, you can guarantee it wouldn't be allowed. There would be other reasons to use it too though - for instance, it's a spectator support, and a faster game also makes a more exciting game.

So the reason must be something else. Maybe they don't really work as stated (most likely IMO), maybe they REALLY work but make the game more dangerous and are disallowed for this reason. Or maybe there is just something about them that actually puts the player at a disadvantage... who knows. It can be all sorts of reasons, but the idea that people won't use something because it will no longer provide a competitive advantage when everybody does, is really the one thing that it couldn't possibly be...

Man, the Leafs just cannot beat the Bruins...Another dominate game for the B's. They've already won the season series with two games left. 14-0-1 in the last month..Nice run.

The penguins hold off Carolina with a 6 on 3 (goalie pulled) and pick up 2 more points. Now sitting at 36 points to regain the league lead.

I don't know which was better, the excitement of holding off the canes in the last few minutes, or the win over Washington and Mr. Nice guy Dale Hunter. Anyone out there old enough to remember when Hunter got a 21 game suspension for a cheap shot after Pierre Turgeon scores. Here's some footage from youtube: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xte-Vtxg-m8]Dale Hunter cheapshots Pierre Turgeon - YouTube[/ame]

Watching the capitals play Pittsburgh the other night, I think good old Dale is already instructing his team with his game techniques.

Edit: A better angle for the cheap shot is shown at about 2:27 in. Also, I especially remember this as Pittsburgh was trying to get a three-peat and had a fantastic season ( 56–21–7, 119 points) but lost to the Islanders in the next series (game 7, OT).

Man, the Leafs just cannot beat the Bruins...Another dominate game for the B's. They've already won the season series with two games left. 14-0-1 in the last month..Nice run.

They are friggin' amazing right now. Had to listen to the typical Christmas party haters last night raggin' on the Leafs, saying how terrible they are. When I said that Boston is on a 14-0-1 run and nobody can beat them right now, they just said "oh, that's pretty good". So annoying - at least watch hockey before you start trying to ruin my secret game-watching in a hidden room. Ahh, 'tis the season for the haters!

That said, I expected a little more jump in the Leafs' step than I saw last night. Boston just shut them down completely in the 3rd. Terrible time to have to have a home-and-home against the B's... Oh well, those 2 games aren't even 3% of the season. Bring on the rest of the league!

Leafs record 14-10-2.
Against Boston 0-4-0.
Against rest of NHL 14-6-2.
Thank god that's over.:cross:

Am I reading this correctly? Boston plays Pittsburgh tonight? Should be a good tilt!

Fragile Leafs @ Rags tonight - a loss to New York should clear out all the remaining band-wagoners. Maybe Reimer will get a shutout...

Am I reading this correctly? Boston plays Pittsburgh tonight? Should be a good tilt!

Yes, in Pittsburgh @ 7:00pm. Should be a good game, Pittsburgh has been playing very well (even with their loss last week to the Rangers) and Boston has obviously been on a roll.

Pittsburgh has some issues with defense with Letang unlikely for the game as well as Zbynek Michalek. Also I wonder if Jordan Staal will be out (hit in face in the Carolina game with a puck).

Ottawa plays the 'lightning' tonight. Has anyone ever heard of them? I'm assuming they play in some weird latvian league or something, cuz I sure haven't heard of them......

:ban: :p :ban:

4 conference setup. Florida and TB will join the NE.

Good for western teams, I suppose. Not sure how much Tampa and Florida I want to watch though.....

Report -- New York Rangers' Derek Boogaard had brain ailment - ESPN New York

Something like this one?

NEW YORK -- Rangers enforcer Derek Boogaard suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a degenerative brain ailment related to Alzheimer's disease that is caused by repeated blows to the head, the New York Times reported.

The 28-year-old Boogaard, who died in May of an accidental overdose of alcohol and oxycodone, was found to have had CTE -- which can be diagnosed only after the death of the patient, according to the third story of an extensive three-part series on Boogaard posted on the newspaper's website Monday night.

Dr. Ann McKee, one of four co-directors of Boston University's Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy and the director of the center's brain bank, saw signature brown spots near the outer surface of Boogaard's brain, which are revealing signs of CTE.

Such damage in someone as young as Boogaard was surprising. Symptoms of the condition include memory loss, impulsiveness, mood swings, and addiction.

"To see this amount? That's a 'wow' moment," McKee said of the damage to Boogaard's brain tissue. "This is all going bad."

The disease was more advanced in Boogaard than it was in famed enforcer Bob Probert, who died of heart failure in 2010 at 45. He played 16 seasons in the NHL and often struggled with alcohol and drug addiction.

Reggie Fleming, who was 73, and 59-year-old Rick Martin, were other hockey players who were found to have CTE.

CTE has also been found by researchers in the brains of numerous deceased former NFL players, including Dave Duerson, Chris Henry, Mike Webster, Cookie Gilchrist and Andre Waters.

So the playoff discussion for this new alignment will be interesting. 8 of 16 western teams qualify and 8 of 14 eastern. I think it will be interesting and mix things up. Will this bring expansion on faster? What say you?

I don't care for the new "East". 2 Florida teams in the same Division as Montreal and Ottawa and Carolina is not?

BOS-BUF-FLA-MON-OTT-TB-TOR
CAR-NJ-NYI-NYR-PHI-PIT-WSH

Should be something more geographically relevant:

CAR-FLA-NJ-PHI-PIT-TB-WSH
BOS-BUF-MON-NYI-NYR-OTT-TOR

Meh, as somebody whose team is in the affected conference, I don't mind. Without the Florida teams, that conference would be *ridiculously* close together. The two furthest teams would be less than 1 hour apart by plane, and most about 30min or less.

Toronto, Montreal, and the Rangers are the most profitable teams in the league by far, and Boston is #5. To have them all in the same conference and so close together is really unnecessary. If anybody can afford to travel, it's these guys.

But mostly, if you ignore Florida, this setup definitely provides a MUCH better density of teams, and teams in Florida are unnatural really don't need to be accommodated. You want to play hockey way down there, you better be prepared to travel. Buffalo is the only other team that's not profitable, so they're the main team I'd be concerned about, but something tells me they don't mind 6 flights to Florida in order to have the rest of their conference so close.

In fact, I'm pretty sure they did plenty of analysis on the travel costs of various options. In fact, given the greater density of the rest of the teams in the announced conferences, I'd be willing to bet that the overall costs and miles travelled are far lower, and that it would even make more sense for some of the benefitted teams to SUBSIDIZE the two Florida teams' travel, rather than go with an option that has them playing in closer cities.

arturo7 said:
I say it's bvllshvt. More favoritism toward the east coast teams.

Yet another reason to take Bettman out back...

Seriously? This was a move to appease the *WEST COAST* teams.

Edit: Oh. You're still going on about the 8 teams vs 7 teams, aren't you? It really doesn't confer any real advantage for anything that matters, which is exactly why you don't see any serious complaining about it - other than from some misguided fans, I suppose.

I would like to know at what point in time did hockey players grow huge vaginas and start caring about travelling. If spending too much time on a plane while you collect your million dollar paycheck is bothering you, then I've got a kick in the nuts with your name on it.

This realignment thing is interesting, but isn't this what we had before the East/West thing? You know, when the Leafs' playoff runs always started with playing St. Louis and Detroit? Man, I hated St. Louis when I was a kid.... Anyway - it'll be fun this season. I wonder who the Leafs will have to face first.... (insert golf joke here "the starter at the first tee", for example)

That's right Phaneuf lays out a silly Rangers player trying to play hockey, and Lupul comes through on his assertion that the Leafs can beat the Rangers. Solid!

Seriously? This was a move to appease the *WEST COAST* teams.

Edit: Oh. You're still going on about the 8 teams vs 7 teams, aren't you? It really doesn't confer any real advantage for anything that matters, which is exactly why you don't see any serious complaining about it - other than from some misguided fans, I suppose.

It took those 16 GMs about an hour to determine that this was the best scenario. They should have first consulted the Homebrew Hockey Thread I guess.

They just made room for 2 more expansion teams.

Good God I hope not. We have too many teams as it is. If they do anything, maybe remove 2 unprofitable teams and reshuffle if necessary.

I love the new division the Wild will be in. I will not shed one tear for the Northwest division, it was lame.

Also like how the first 2 rounds of playoffs will be intra-conference. Should intensify the new rivalries rather quickly.

Sigh. Am I the only one who actually likes inter-divisional play? From a Penguins fan perspective, it gets old watching the Rangers, Islanders, Philadelphia, devils and now Capitals & Canes. I think it would have been much more interesting to mix it up more along the lines of the NFL or MLB. Wouldn't it be better for fans if the Rangers and Flyers could meet each other in the Stanley Cup Finals? Or Pittsburgh and Washington? Or Montreal and Boston? Or Detroit and San Jose?

I understand the travel issue, but doesn't baseball have a similar problem, and they seem to deal with it just fine. (Yes, I know they play a series which helps, but they still have a lot of travel.)

Oh well, it is what it is. It seems that the NHL executives want to continue to see the east coast teams beating the s___t out of each other game after game. :)

Back