Brewing my frist batch tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA_from_GA

Reaction score
Ok, couple questions i didn't see in the FAQ.

got this set from WindRiver brewing. here are my questions:

1) i know secondary fermentation is a mis-nomer, and no actual fermentation takes place, but more of a clarifying stage. I'm thinking if using the other bucket for secondary. if i put swap the spigots and thus bucket usage (would be a 6.5 gal fermenting/bottling bucket, and a 5 gal secondary bucket) Would it work to do my primary in the larger bucket, then to the smaller bucket for secondary, and transfer back to the larger bucket to bottle from? Did that even make sense? I guess basically, does it matter if your secondary is a glass carboy or a plastic bucket?

2) I'm going to be out of town, and the kit i purchased says to do a 2 week primary, will it matter much if it goes an extra 5 days?

thanks

I guess basically, does it matter if your secondary is a glass carboy or a plastic bucket?

2) I'm going to be out of town, and the kit i purchased says to do a 2 week primary, will it matter much if it goes an extra 5 days?

thanks

1. That's a question that is going to be answered
with personal preference. I really do not think it matters.

2. Actually you can keep it in the primary for the entire time. You really do not need a secondary unless you are planning on letting it sit in there for more than 4 months.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do fine.

i know secondary fermentation is a mis-nomer, and no actual fermentation takes place, but more of a clarifying stage.

Fermentation isn't the whole story with the yeast though. That's only one stage of their life cycle. After they're done fermenting and are looking for other stuff to eat, they'll start reprocessing fermentation byproducts...so, they'll start cleaning up some off flavors. So, the longer you keep the beer on the trub (up to the point of autolysis, which is a pretty long time) you're making the beer better. A lot of people forego the whole "secondary" thing entirely, unless they're going to rack the beer onto some fruit, or something like that.

Now...that all said, I do ferment in a carboy (or ale pail) and rack into a bottling bucket before bottling, to get it off the yeast cake (and because it's an easy point to add the carbonation sugars.)

I like to use a secondary, I guess its just something that I have always done. Many dont use secondaries. For your first question... I prefer to use a 6.5 gal primary just in case there is a crazy fermentation, that way there is clearance for the beautiful krauzen to rise. Glass or plastic will still make beer, alot of guys are going with the plastic "better bottle" which I guess would be in the middle. What makes the glass appealing to some is that you dont have to worry about scratching it up like plastic. Once a good gash gets in there it will potentially hold bacteria and cause some funky flavors. I have the bucket I started with still, some glass carboys, and the better bottle. They all have made some delicious beers for me. I think the most important thing to worry about is that what ever you put your wort into is sanitary and can be air tight with a blow-off.
It should work, as long as you remember to keep it clean and the spiggot hole is plugged really well. I have never tried it before, I am not sure if the co2 pressure from the fermentation would be to much. I would try it if it were my beer, why not?
Happy brewing and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

got it in the primary, been in the closet for about 7 hours, air lock is already bubbling...

Back