Brewers Best Bourbon Barrel Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceman1407

Reaction score
So am looking for a little insight if anyone has any experience with this one.
It is my first extract of this kind, I have previously o.ly used the Mr. Beer line but am trying to branch out and grow to all grain.
I brewed this one and put it in the primary last wed. I had pretty steady activity from the blow off until sat it stopped all together. I watched it for 48 hours and still had no more activity. I then went ahead and siphoned it over to my secondary (carboy) and racked it on the oak chips and some makers 46 Monday night. I've been keeping a steady watch on it since and have seen some activity from blow off but not much.
I'm wondering if I racked it in the secondary too soon. Only 4 days. And how long should I secondary it before bottling? I hope I have not ruined the beer.

From my experience there is not much visual activity after the krosen drops. But do not fret the yeast are still active and your beer will turn put fine. If you want to make sure fermentation is happening just take gravity readings.

Any idea about how long I should let it secondary? 3-4 weeks perhaps before bottling? How bout conditioning time? Instructions were rather standard and vague with the brewers best. The Mr beer ones always somewhat guided alittle more.

iceman1407

Given your very short primary, I'd definitely leave it alone for 3-4 weeks before bottling, as you suggested. Then bottle condition for ~2-3 weeks. This will give the yeast time to clear the beer and avoid that "young" beer taste.

In general, I don't secondary but I'll primary for 3-4 weeks before bottling/kegging. If I'm bottling, I tend to try one each week to see it mature.

If I've learned anything from brewing, it's patience is key. Don't rush it. Instead, start making another batch, and another, and another... Then you'll just have a steady pipeline.

Edit: I just realized you're using oak. In that case, you'll want to factor in how much oakiness you want. The longer you leave it in secondary on oak chips, the more oak you'll have obviously. So I'd say that's more important than the standard 3-4 weeks. It seems like most recipes call for 1-2 weeks of secondary with oak chips, but it's your call.

Thanks for the info drocu,

I was trying to use oak and makers too, would this counter balance or should I stay to the 1-2ish idea. I have used alcohol before in batches with much success, but is my first attempt with oak chips. I and several of my friends enjoy the BBC bourbon barrel stout and that is what I am out to replicate with this one.

iceman1407

Back