chocolate/coffee to stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesampm

Reaction score
Hi all, new here and after going through a ton of threads here and elsewhere for information I'm more confused than I was before I started.

I have a Black Rock Miners Stout pre-hopped canned kit and after reading about them have found out that they are lacking in the taste department.

I have just started doing this and want to keep it fairly simple for the first few batches until I get my sanitizing and confidence up a bit. So what would be the simplest way of adding some coffee and chocolate to the brew.

Because it's a prehopped kit I wont be doing any wort boiling so I can't really add anything to a wort boil.

I just plan on using the "Miners Stout" and a 1 kg of "Coopers Brew Enhancer 2". Would adding some cocoa and some cold brewed coffee into this mixture work?

When would I add it? when Im mixing them together or when I rack to secondary?

How much cocoa and coffee would you suggest for my 23L batch. Would 10oz of cocoa and 2 litres of coffee work?

Im up for any suggestions, and I thank everyone in advance for answering my newb questions

The first chocolate stout that I did, I added some "Chocolate Extract" that I bought from my LHBS, to the keg (in your case I assume that would be in the bottling bucket. Turned out wonderful.

The first chocolate stout that I did, I added some "Chocolate Extract" that I bought from my LHBS, to the keg (in your case I assume that would be in the bottling bucket. Turned out wonderful.

no, I'm kegging this. So you just added it to the keg? Did you let it sit in the keg for a while before trying it or just try it as soon as you were at the desired carbonation?

Nope, I added it to the keg before I racked from the primary and then started carbonating right away.

I should say that I cold crashed the primary for a couple of days before I racked to the keg.

do you think using cocoa and cold coffee when Im mixing the malt would work?
I wouldnt even know how much to be honest, I was thinking 10oz of cocoa and 2 litres of coffee

do you think using cocoa and cold coffee when Im mixing the malt would work?
I wouldnt even know how much to be honest, I was thinking 10oz of cocoa and 2 litres of coffee

2 liters, wow, that's a lot of coffee

I just added 4.5 oz of cold brewed just before bottling. Cold brewed coffee is pretty strong. I hope it shines through.

I don't have info on the cocoa, but for the coffee, I added it to a stout when I bottled and it turned out great. I made cold brew coffee (1 cup coarse ground coffee to 4.5 cups water, keep it on the counter 12 hours or overnight, then strain and filter two or three times through paper filters to cut down on oils), and blended with the beer a little bit at a time until it tasted how I wanted it to. Mine ended up being about 3/4 cup cold brew coffee per gallon of beer, but YMMV. Note also that cold brew is generally considered to be 2x (except in my house, where we like strong coffee).

okay, so about 1 litre coffee for 5 gallons or stout should work then. Sounds good, thanks guys!

anyone else figure anything on the chocolate or cocoa?

Latest posts

Back