Small-batch English Barleywine suggestion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreiz

Reaction score
I have some leftover grains (2-row, Munich, Vienna, various Crystals) and I want to brew a small batch of barleywine, about 3/4 of a gallon or so. I enjoy the toasty, raisin, toffee-like flavor of English Barleywine better than the more assertive bitterness of the American style. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good all-grain recipe that worked out well in the past?

3/4 of a gallon??? Do you have a big enough kettle to do a full boil? :D

Frankly, I don't know how well another recipe is going to scale down to that size. What I would recommend is a base of British pale malt to your desired gravity (I would go for at least 1.090 and shoot for 1.110 or more if you can) and traditional Brit hops like Kent Goldings to an IBU of 2/3 to 3/4 of the OG. You could add a tiny bit of medium crystal if you want but with a really big barleywine and a long boil, a couple of hours is good, it really isn't needed.

Why would a batch not scale to that size? I'd shoot for 1.100, 60ish IBUs of EKG or Fuggles. Use 2-row and a bit of 120L Crystal and mash low (148ish). You could also toss in a little Munich. I like to add some special B to english barleywine, though it isn't to style.

With such a small batch my concerns would be excessive evaporation in the boil (sparge long), mash temperature retention, and waste due to equipment (kettle deadspace, chiller, siphon, etc.).

:mug:I brewed a 5 gallon batch about 6 months ago and split it between my 3 gallon corny and bottles. Trust me, if the brew turns out amazing you will hate yourself! It takes too long before you can enjoy the brew to brew less than a gallon. Just my 2 cents

Back