Re-pitching Slurry Graivty question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwing7486

Reaction score
So i brewed a cream ale that i had insane efficiency on (88%) and over shot my SG of 1.047 and ended up with 1.052. My question is once I harvest the yeast from the beer is it ok to pitch this slurry into a pale ale with the same SG of 1.052? I know you are suppose to pitch slurry into wort that has a higher SG than the beer in which the slurry was harvested from. But what about pitching slurry into worth with the same SG in which the slurry came from?

It's fine to pitch with same OG. Usually when making a high gravity beer it's a good idea to make a low gravity beer first and transfer new wort right on top of the yeast cake. Think of it as the ultimate yeast starter. I think this is where you get the lower OG to higher OG. All that matters is you want low gravity to not stress the yeast, what is done afterwards doesn't matter. As a rule, I never recycle yeast that has been in 1.060 or higher beer.

I never knew to SG mattered when reusing yeast.I mostly us us 05 and and transfer from high to low and low to high SG.Never seemed to have an issue hitting FG.Curius why SG matters.If you were pitching from a packet you could make infinite types of beer..so whats the difference using a slurry?

Once the gravity of the wort goes past a certain level then yeast suffers from osmotic pressure, which isn't good for it. It's why you have to pitch so much more yeast for bigger beers and it's not a good idea to re-use that yeast, whereas you can pitch a lot less for smaller beers and crop yeast from smaller beers and re-use it repeatedly.

+1 to hanglow. Dry yeast is packaged at its highest viability. So it has not been exposed to a high gravity environment. Pretty sure it is packaged at high activity/krausen too. That's why dry yeast rocks and liquid yeast is subpar, IMO.

Back