So, SWMBO was helping me keg and....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daves69

All Grain No Brain!
Reaction score
Tossed 1 1/2 ounces of whole leaf Cascades right into the keg. I had my back turned and she asked "do they just go in the keg"? I responded with a "yup" and as I went to watch the fruits of my labor fill the keg I noticed them just swirling on the surface. In a calm voice I just kinda looked up at her and said "well they were supposed to go in a bag first". Anyhow she really wanted to reach her little paws in the keg and take as much out as she could but I figured that might do more damage then good? Anyhow what to do? RDWHAHB? Try to transfer to a clean keg? Put a filter between the tap and keg? Enjoy beer with pulp?

We have done the same thing. With leaf hops I have found it to not be too big of a deal. We usually have an occasional clog but that's easily fixed by gently putting the gas line onto the liquid out post. A short burst and it blows the hops particles put. If it keeps clogging you could easily transfer it to another keg through a hop bag as a filter.

That's good to know! We did just get done taking a large slotted spoon and scooping out what looked like over %90 of the hops. We sanitized everything (luckily I still had a bucket of starsan sitting there). I think what little hops make it to the glass will just be little prizes at this point..... Only time will tell, she's sitting on 30lbs for the next 24 hrs. then down to 12psi till Friday when it gets tapped!

You did the right thing. My experience is that whole leaf hops float anyway so they won't clog the dip tube.

Latest posts

Back