Wanted: Pumpkin Porter Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

Reaction score
I can't find an extract version of a pumpkin porter, can anyone help?

Here is a chocolate pumpkin porter I brewed last fall: http://madfermentationist.blogspot.com/2008/11/chocolate-pumpkin-porter.html

It is technically a mini-mash, but you could just steep the grains and be alright. I also used the final runnings from an all-grain batch of the liquid, but water would work fine as well.

It was based on Denny's BVIP, with some minor tweeks and the addition of cocoa powder, pumpkin pie spice, and canned pumpkin. Turned out really well I thought.

looks like a great recipe, but I'll be doing it at room temp ~70 think that will be all right?

70 ambient is pushing the limit for most non-belgian yeasts (fermentation will raise the temp 5-8 degrees during high krausen). You might consider finding a way to drop the temp a few degrees, like draping a wet towel over the carboy, putting it in a water tub and putting some frozen soda bottles in, finding a cool erspot in your place etc...). You just need to worry about the temp for the first 4-5 days, after that it can climb up and not be an issue.

That said, this beer should have enough going on to cover up any minor fermentation sins. Good luck.

Back