Black Stuff on Lid of Finished Kombucha- Should I Be Worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bop497

bop497
Reaction score
Hi!
I have made several batches of kombucha now and the same thing keeps happening each time.
I store each batch in four mason jars in the refrigerator and consume all of the kombucha within about a week. Once I open a jar, pour out kombucha, put it back in the fridge, and then take it out again the next day, there is always a small amount of black liquid around the rim of the jar and on the lid. It only happens once I have opened a jar.
I wash all the jars and lids with burning hot water each time that I bottle the kombucha. I have also checked the SKOBYs for mold but they all look fine.
I have kept drinking the kombucha. It tastes great and I haven't gotten sick, but it is only a small amount of black liquid so maybe over time this could be bad for me? Does anyone else have the same thing happen to them? Should I be worried?

I would bet that the acid in the kombucha is reacting with the metal ring on the lid. Just a guess.

Latest posts

Back