odd fruit.......anyone try buffaloberry mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattler_mt

Reaction score
was down along the river last night and noticed the buffaloberry bushes(Shepherdia argetea) are just loaded with fruit due to a long wet spring.....they are a pain in the arse to harvest....the fruit are small, yah have to wait till after a good frost for them to taste good(they are bitter till then), the bushes are thorny as hell.......but the jelly made from them is outstanding and one of my personal favorites........as loaded as the bushes are i would prolly only have to beat the crap out of a couple of them to shake loose enough fruit for a 3 gal experimental batch.....

IMG_0467.jpg

well ive been eating buffaloberry jelly for over 20 years.....the natives been eating them for centuries.....the frost just seems to get rid of the bitter compounds and leaves the berries quite sweet....they arent a strong tasting fruit, they taste like, well buffaloberries.....thinking they would be a good mix with the local alfalfa honey as its pretty light tasting aswell.....

If you figure out how to get them picked and frozen, I'll pay the shipping to get them to Colorado ;)

I can't help but think that it's a great idea! Is there any local honey that you could use?

picking aint all that hard.....place a bed sheet under the bush than beat the hell out of it with a broom....the pain comes in cleaning out all the thorns, leaves and bugs out of the berries......would think you would have them in any creek or river bottom in eastern Colorado......IIRC they range all the way down to Texas.....

only local honey we have is alfalfa......basically a desert up here on the western plains.....only honey being produced is off of the irrigated alfalfa fields along the river......not sure what is available on the western side of the state but im happy as hell i can atleast buy the bulk alfalfa honey fairly cheap locally.........

Back