cider going on 5th week but still slite bubbles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tielson's

Reaction score
My cider is 5 gallons, but we used caine sugar instead of dextrose, is this the reason it taking so long to ferment? It is almost done I'd say less than a week.

the only way to be sure is hydrometer readings, the bubbles could be coming from changes in temperature and air pressure and vibrations and lots of other crazy stuff

I never did the hydrometer on this cider, what should it read approx.? Also is it safe to open and check, or can it still get a bacterial infection? Sorry this is my first batch of cider.

well if there wasnt an initial reading its hard to say, you can open it up and as long as nothing nasty gets dropped in it should be fine

mr_stimey said:
well if there wasnt an initial reading its hard to say,

How does the initial reading effect the F.G.? My O.G. was 1.062 so what should my F.G. be, and why?

It's at 1.001 as of 2 days ago, and I haven't seen a bubble in 1 1/2 days, but I'm only on day 11 so I'm confused since everyone says I should leave it in the primary for 3 weeks before racking to 2ndary.

for the most part the two ciders (apfelweins actually) that ive done ended up finishing at, or just below 1.000. alot of it depends on the recipe you use as well as the yeast you use.

this thread is a good read for understanding the whole gravity thing

http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=44563&highlight=hydrometer+readings

you technically do not need to rack to secondary, if you stick at 1.001 for another couple days youll want to let it sit and clear for another month or so just to clear it up.

personally i just use secondaries so i can start another batch as soon as the first is done

Latest posts

Back