Finings Kill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daz01

Reaction score
Hi all...So I'm a noob, and have just started on my 3rd brew. My first was a nut Brown Ale, as per recipe, and seems to have turned out pretty darn nice. Now, a have a brew in my one carbouy, of Black Rock Bock, but what I have done as per my Brewcraft friends comments, added Coppertun enhancer number 20, as well as an extra half of Safale, and about 400gms extra of dextrose to try increase my ABV a bit to about 5% as thats where I usually enjoy the strength of a good ale or lager. However I tested my Bock 2 days ago (4 days into the brew), and the ABV was 3.2% (worked out on hydrometer as per OG-FG x 131.25) What I also might have done premature (if I ams still hoping to get a little extra fermentation) added finings to clear the beer up a bit. I am going to check the gravity again tonight, but my question is: If I'v added finings before all fermentation has taken place, will it stop the fermentation all together?

Thanks everyone!

Why even bother taking a gravity reading 4 days in? Wait a week more (or two) before taking another reading.
As far as the findings go, it shouldn't be a problem. Stuff like Irish moss is added during the boil from what I understand... Though others will have more insight than me on this.

I've used Irish moss during the boil as well as gelatin and polyclar later on in the fermenter and have never had a problem with them.

bosco

+1 on waiting. A week is good. Two might be better.

Also, kettle finings, like Whirlfloc or irish moss, shouldn't make much difference.

Gelatin, from what I've read, can make a difference if that's what you're planning on using. It does pull yeast (and other things) out of suspension. While I understand enough yeast should be left in suspension after its use to carbonate beer, I personally wouldn't try using it until I were certain primary fermentation had completed.

Back