mini keg conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALPS

Reaction score
My ESB fermented in a cool spot: 59-63 deg. Today it went into mini kegs, and I now have a warmer(68-70), (hopefully) temperature controlled area I could put them to condition.

Would the yeast be negatively affected by a temp change now, or should they be left to condition in the cooler area?

I also have one keg that is only half full. Wil this still carbonate OK?

A half-full keg will have trouble carbonating. It won't be totally flat. If you have a dispensing system that uses co2, I would recommend putting pressure on that keg for a day or two before serving. Also, there is a chance some air got into the keg, so drink it first before it oxidizes.

Hey HB Bill,

I realize the role the priming sugar plays in the carbonization. I was curious if the yeast got comfortable in the cooler temp and what a 10 deg change in temp would do to them. I thought a sudden raise in temp might slow them down till they got used to the new temp. But then, maybe the warmer spot would be better for them...

They weren't cold enough to stop completely, but it does take a day or two for them to adjust to higher temps.

Correct. The rise in the brew temp brings the yeast back to life provided there if food (the priming sugar).

If you tried conditioing at lower temps you'll have to wait a much longer time if you used ale yeast. If the brew is a lager then you should be OK.

What David says is also true. But why anyone would fill half a keg is probably not the route to go in the first place. :D That's what bottles are for....

homebrewer_99 said:
But why anyone would fill half a keg is probably not the route to go in the first place. :D That's what bottles are for....

My first time with the kegs, and only my second time bottling. Not having some sanitized bottles on hand was a rookie oversight. I didn't think I could split my batch between bottles and kegs anyway. Much less sugar was called for with the kegs than with bottles.

When I split a batch I usually just funnel the corn sugar into the keg first prior to priming the batch then I guestimate how much priming sugar I need for the rest of it.

This is also a good reason to up your batches to 5.5 gals. Considering the loss you still need 20 liters, not 19, for 4 mini-kegs. :D

Latest posts

Back