Beer style for iron rich water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mutedog

Reaction score
Anyone aware of a beer style that lends itself well to being brewed with a water that is rich in iron?

There's a well near my house that takes clean water straight from the aquifer that I'd like to experiment brewing with. The water is hard and has an irony taste.

Iron does not belong in any brewing water. Consider diluting, possibly filtering/RO or re-sourcing.

Well obviously I don't have to use the water from this well.

However, since people have been brewing beer for at least ten thousand years there has surely been plenty of beer that's been brewed with iron rich water. Therefore there must be some styles of beer (however obscure) that were developed with water that is rich in iron. Maybe they weren't the most popular styles but they must exist.

Well obviously I don't have to use the water from this well.

However, since people have been brewing beer for at least ten thousand years there has surely been plenty of beer that's been brewed with iron rich water. Therefore there must be some styles of beer (however obscure) that were developed with water that is rich in iron. Maybe they weren't the most popular styles but they must exist.

Re iron: To quote from Greg Noonan's "Brewing Lager Beer":

"...iron gives an unpleasant, inky taste detectable at levels as low as .05 ppm. Above 1 ppm, iron weakens yeast and increases haze and oxidation of tannins. It blackens porcelain and spots fabrics at .02 ppm, causes white turbidity in water, and corrodes metal. Levels should be less than .3 ppm. Reduce iron content to .1 ppm by aerating and filtering the water through sand. "

Excessive iron can also contribute to haze and sluggish fermentation. Iron is an enemy of yeast.

This is not my opinion, it is fact. You do not want iron in your brewing water. :mug:

I'll see if I can locate a water analysis of this well. I don't believe the levels are exceptionally high but you can taste the iron in the water.

I'd suggest making a tomato beer and calling it "Tru Blood". Would be great Halloween gag (or if you know any True Blood fans, they'll love it any time of the year).

Found some more detailed info on this water:
The iron levels are 0.7 ppm
Also according to the freshwater sciences professor who determined these levels the iron will oxidize and precipitate out after a few hours contact with air.

additional info:
Calcium : 52.5
Magnesium : 33.9
Sodium : 26.2
Potassium : 1.4
Bicarbonate : 268.4
Chloride : 13
Sulfate : 120
pH : 7.4

Jesus, that's not water, it's club soda! I agree with the others; it might be fun to make a novelty beer with your water but I'm not aware of any commercially available beers or known beer styles which derive from a local tradition of iron-rich water.

heh, now I'm wondering if something good could be brewed from it. A challenge of sorts...

You could dilute it 1:1 with distilled water and experiment. A bit too stiff as is methinks.

Back