Brewing up a pale ale wondering which hops or grain to use....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
Hi all, im going to make a two - five gallon batches of beer today.

Ive never used a hydrometer but I have one.

Im going to make a pale ale with 2lb of crsytal grain although I also have pale grain too..

I have amrillo hops 1oz
kent golding 4oz
cascade 1oz
northern brewer 4oz

thinking about 4 oz of hops whichever but am not sure which ones to use.

Also am wondering what the gravity should end up being....... :fro:

Your Goldings hops are around 8.5% AA, the others are around 5%. Depending on the taste you are looking for, you may want to mix. Having it in the boil longer will extract more bitterness. The Northern is a fairly clean tasting hop so I would recommend that to be you rlongest in the boil and then your choice on the aroma and/or dry hops, but again, it all depends on what you are going for.

As for your grain, the Crystal will give you about 1.034 depending on which one you have. Was that a typo or do you only have 2 pounds? That's not a lot for two 5 gallon batches. Which Pale do you have and how much? I would limit the Crystal to about 25% of your grain bill max.

I'd use 2 oz. NB @ 60, 1 oz. Amarillo @ 30, 1 oz. Cascades @ 15 and 2 oz. Goldings @ 5, if you are planning an OG over 1.060. Cut the NB 1/2 oz. for 1.050.

Back