Any tips to removing beer lines from tower... ?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoaringBrewer

Reaction score
Well, I'm building my 4912 kegerator and trying to switch the 5' lines out for 10' lines... I can't for the life of me get these locknuts or whatever they are from off inside of the tower. There is nooo room to work in there!

Any tips or tricks to getting these shanks in/out so I can switch my line?!

Quick help would be best as we are in process!

Thanks in advance...

Yep, they're a *****! I don't know any tricks, but you can swivel the faucets on the outside to get the nut where you can get a wrench on it. I just worked on them until I got them. I may have ended up using some vice grips. I can't remember. They need a better way to work on those IMO.

The top of my tower comes off, I don't know about yours, but you should check and see if the top has a little screw holding it on. This puts your wrench or screwdriver about 2 inches from the nuts as opposed to a foot away. Working from the top was a big help, but I was amazed that I didn't ruin the thing when I tried to switch out the lines.

Top came off easily... getting the locknuts off was, as Sparky stated, "a *****"... Haha. But we got them off, switched on 10' of 3/16" line to each one. I haven't tapped beer through it yet, but ran the cleaner/sanitizer solution through each faucet so far and the pour was nice! (I know water isn't carbonated but you get the point!) Can't wait to tap a beer through it. Got an ESB hooked up and carbing at 9psi... w00t!

OCB tilly said:
I'm curious...why switch 5' lines for 10'?

I have a daul body regulator that will allow me to serve my kegs at different PSI dependent upon style. A style where I need to push 18PSI or so through the keg would almost definitely cause foaming at 5' of line...

I am pushing 8-9psi through a keg now and the pour is just fine... no drawback to the longer line that I can see, it still fills the glass quickly.

homebrewer_99 said:
Well, you already got it, but I was going to tell you to get an older wrench and grind the round sides down so it would fit between the 2 nuts...but that was so obvious...;)

I had thought of this actually, but I guess horsing around trying to get it for 45 minutes was just easier. My lock nuts took a biggggg wrench (like 1" or something crazy), so even with ground sides it might have been tight. Are they all this big?! I guess so to fit over the tap/shank assembly...

Back