Hi from Ireland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loweface

Reaction score
I'm from Limerick in Ireland. Any other Irish on this site? Not many Irish homebrew forums, and only the odd dedicated LHBS nationwide...

There's a couple of people from this side of the pond.
I've just been to Ireland twice in the last month.

I was in Cork on Tuesday.

Welcome.

What's your tipple?

Hope you liked Cork. Was down the South West last week myself. Nice area.

first batch of Kit lager is ready (by instructions) tonight. Had one early to see if the improvement with time and doesn't taste bad. Should improve over the month or three (if it lasts). Didn't have high expectations since it was a kit and I used white sugar. That said over here white sugar is made from sugar beet not sugar cane and the taste between the two is compleatly different. Maybe someone brought up on cane sugar would think ours is worse but I grew up on sugar beet and I think its better.

Next up is another kit, maybe a pilsner and a wheat... (brown sugar) then onto a partial mash or two I'll see.

There was a young lass from Limerick
Who brewed with quite the odd gimmick.
From her snatch she released
A rare strain of yeast
And her ales, they said, were fantastic.

:fro:

I just made that up.

Yes, I'm sure that that makes me an ignorant American. I am sorry for that. I'm sure your Lucky Charms are excellent. But holy hell. A man says he's Irish and from a place called Limerick. What do you expect? A smörgåsbord? Some Schadenfreude? A raison d'etre? Heck no. You're looking around to shake the hand of that man from Nantucket!!!!

No problem. I lived over your side of the pond for a year working with an environmental company. You know the commercial ones that cost a fortune cause they do the high risk work like tank cleaning and chemical spills. The hazmat stuf fis fairly interesting and I got to spend better part of a year in Conneticut and travelling the US.

Anyway I was getting on a plane over there once (think I was flying Bradley to New Orleans) and I was wearing a jacket with the University of Limerick emblem on the chest and I was stopped at the gate by the boarding steward who asked if it was a joke and thought there was going to be a Limerick on the back! I didn't mind though... Was fair funny in itself!

I also lived cape cod for a summer so I know about this so called man from Nantucket!!!

how is the mother land this fine day.
Im not from Ireland, actually New York but I am Irish American.
Right now I am sipping my Irish Red Ale.
What do you like to brew?

rmck1 said:
No problem. I lived over your side of the pond for a year working with an environmental company. You know the commercial ones that cost a fortune cause they do the high risk work like tank cleaning and chemical spills. The hazmat stuf fis fairly interesting and I got to spend better part of a year in Conneticut and travelling the US.

Welcome to the forum.

Where in Connecticut did you stay? That's my neck of the woods.

Welcome aboard.

We now have someone who can give us first hand testament to the differences between a fresh brewed Guiness from a local pub in Ireland, and the widget-canned, watered down version we are privledged to have here in the states.

So how bout it rmck1?

Did you happen upon a can while you were here and what is the difference?

If no one else is gonna post here I will,
there once was a man from Iraq with with holes down the lenght of his c##k
when he go an er*ction he could play a selection for yohan sabastian bach

sorry
just for fun!

hello there and welcome. im from up north in derry but live in belfast. Delboy onthis site is also from belfast and ive seen a few more from around the country on here. how long have you been brewing for? do you have any homebrew shops in limerick?

Plenty of questions here...

First off I lived in Hyannis, Cape Cod for a summer a few years back. Did the traditional student thing crammed 10 of us into an appartment and worked for drinking money. Sounds bad but we were the good ones, lived by shops so no noise complaints, got on well with the one neighbour we did have etc.

The next year I lived in Hamden just sounth of New Haven, CT. Spent nearly nine months there. Great time. Anna Lifey's there isn't a bad Irish pub and often went ther e for a proper Irish breakfast on a Sunday...

Next Guinness does not travel well. And on top of that there is an art in pulling the pint. Guinness claim the perfect pint to take 119.5 seconds and uses a two-part pour. I've only risked it in a few American bars but to no great success. Many good Irish bars will have Irish staff (at some point) and some will pull a pint properly many others won't. I once saw a pint pulled unattended till over-flowing then handed to us. Needless to say we paid and left...

For the Belfast lads, www.thehomebrewcentre.com is the guy I get my stuff from. There is a flat €10 delivery charge around Ireland by weight and each item is displayed with its weight so its calculated quite clearly. He's from Killaloe in Clare and is only a half hour from Limerick so I drive out to him.

Finally I've brewed a lager, started a pilsner and once the fermenter is free its a wheat and an ale. Also making wine.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading...

rmck1 said:
The next year I lived in Hamden just sounth of New Haven, CT. Spent nearly nine months there. Great time. Anna Lifey's there isn't a bad Irish pub and often went ther e for a proper Irish breakfast on a Sunday...

I'm in new haven. Anna Liffey's used to be the best Irish pub in town, now they have "dance nights" and cater to all the little college pukes. I haven't been there in quite awhile because of that...

cnbudz said:
I'm in new haven. Anna Liffey's used to be the best Irish pub in town, now they have "dance nights" and cater to all the little college pukes. I haven't been there in quite awhile because of that...

Dance nights??? Crazy was a good spot. Especially since they served real rashers and sausages. Went there once and got stopped by a barmaid for ID (which was strange because I had been stopped at the door and she'd seen that) but turns out it was to check I was from Limerick and she was an ex-neighbour and had gone to school with my sister!

It'll take up to 5 minutes in the best Irish pubs to get served a pint of stout.
Fill 3/4 and wait. Fill the rest and wait. Top up if needed.

I use the same method for a few of my brews. It difficult when you are thirsty but worth it.

Guinness also use a mix of Nitrogen and Carbon Dioxide and I doub't most bars over there have the N2 bottle outside...

Back