What 2008 BJCP style should I put for a IBA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manicmethod

Reaction score
I brewed an India black ale with Belgian yeast and the contest is using the 2008 BJCP style guide so there is no India black ale. Should I just put Belgian specialty ale? It is fairly bitter (100 IBU) and I'd like to compete against IPA's but I don't want it to get rejected because of the yeast and color.

I brewed an India black ale with Belgian yeast and the contest is using the 2008 BJCP style guide so there is no India black ale. Should I just put Belgian specialty ale? It is fairly bitter (100 IBU) and I'd like to compete against IPA's but I don't want it to get rejected because of the yeast and color.

If the hops are all american I bet it wouldn't do well any belgian category. I would go with specialty/fruit/other

manicmethod said:

I'd keep it out of the Belgian Specialty, this recipe is a very American thing to do. Belgian specialty should still be really Belgian, like Orval. I'd put it in category 23 where the other black IPAs will be.

Latest posts

Back