What are dregs???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tiny particles of yeast left over from bottle conditioning that usually remain at the bottom of the bottle after pouring.

You pour them into a starter as apposed to a vial of liquid yeast. This builds them up to an acceptable volume to pitch into your wort.

So, how do I use these dregs??

Well, you'll need to culture them up and build a starter to propagate them to a population large enough to use in a brew. You can do this by "stepping up" your starter bigger and bigger according to the Mr Malty Yeast Pitching Rate Calc. There's also plenty of info out there on culturing dregs from the bottle out there as well, check [ame="http://www.google.com/search?aq=0&oq=culturing+dre&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=culturing+dregs+bottle"]Google[/ame] :)

Thanks for the tips!! This puts me well on my way. One other question though, do you have to culture them when your done with your beer or can do do it days/weeks later??

Long legs means more room for beer!

They were a weird art rock fusion band from the eighties. And some people use that term for the tea leaves that settle to the bottom of a cup or tea pot.

Thanks for the tips!! This puts me well on my way. One other question though, do you have to culture them when your done with your beer or can do do it days/weeks later??

Best to do it when you are done w/ your beer to avoid storing the "dregs" and possible contamination. But if collected and stored sanitary, no reason they couldn't be stored i guess.

wilserbrewer said:
Best to do it when you are done w/ your beer to avoid storing the "dregs" and possible contamination. But if collected and stored sanitary, no reason they couldn't be stored i guess.

Sanitized growler??? Back of the fridge for a storage?? Couple days or weeks?? Thanks!

Back