Repitch or wait a week and see if the beer gods save me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k2brew

Reaction score
So I have 5 gal of a doppelweizenbock sitting in my basement without any signs of fermentation. OG of 1.07 I brewed on Saturday and pitched a starter that never really took off. It was the last vial of the Wyeast380 Heffeweizen Ale at the LHBS so I am wondering how good it was even though the sell by date is Feb 2010.

Product Description

Large clove and phenolic aroma and flavor, with minimal banana. Refreshing citrus and apricot notes. Crisp, drinkable hefeweizen. Less flocculent than WLP300, and sulfur production is higher.

Attenuation: 73-80%
Flocculation: Low
Temperature: 66-70°F
Alcohol Tolerance: 5-10%

I pitched a little cold around 68 and it got cold in the basement so it is sitting at about 57.

Here is the kicker... I am leaving for the holidays tonight. Do I bring it upstairs and hope that the warmer temp will jump start it? Do I transfer to another carboy and pitch my backup packet of dry yeast?

I was hesitant to bring it upstairs because it is the biggest beer I have brewed to-date and it is in a 5 gal carboy. Maybe I'll stop at the hardware store before we leave and get tubing to make a blow off tube.

Your basement is way to cool for that yeast. Get it upstairs, and maybe set it up in a bathtub of water at about 67-68 degrees. The volume of water will help to hold the fermentation temp more constant. If it is a big beer it has a good chance it will blow off so defintely get a blow off tube rigged up as well.

Back