Beersmith strike temp location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewprint

Reaction score
I finally have beersmith setup to give me the correct volumes. It's set up for an electric BIAB. I cannot locate where the strike water temp is. I must just be blind. Please tell me where it's at!

Open your recipe, look across the top line of Icons across the page, click on the icon that says "Brew Steps". It will open a window with step by step instructions for your brew day, including the strike temp. I'm not sure how they calculate this-as the temperature of the grain going in is obviously critical. I always use Green Bay Rackers' online tools to get my number. It will ask for your water/grain ratio(expressed in quarts of water per pound of grain)as well as the temperature of the grain. I've always had great success hitting the precise mash temp with this.

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Last edited:
PhinneyWoodBrews is correct in where to find the Strike water temp.

Be sure you go into the Mash tab and enter the grain temp. and the mash tun temp. in order for Beersmith to correctly calculate the strike water temp.

There is no strike temp on the brew steps. I have no idea why.

Try this. In the Mash steps in the recipe itself. Edit the mash step to be "Infusion". That will then show the strike temp in the description of the mash step as well as showing it in the Brew Instructions. If you have it set to Temperature, it will not. I know it's counter intuitive but that's the way it works.

I finally have beersmith setup to give me the correct volumes. It's set up for an electric BIAB. I cannot locate where the strike water temp is. I must just be blind. Please tell me where it's at!

Open a recipe

Click the mash tab
Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 9.01.48 AM.png

All the details are on the left including initial strike temp dictated by the variables you have entered for your equipment setup and the particular recipe

Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 9.02.19 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-18 at 9.02.43 AM.png

Need the following to calculate strike temperature.
  • Planned first mash temperature
  • The material and mass of the mash tun
  • Grain temp
  • Mash tun temp
  • Grain mass
  • Strike water volume

There is nothing on here that says strike that I can find. Even on the steps. I changed to infusion also.

The volume and weight are already in the equipment profile.

Mash.jpg

Wait, I guess it says it in the description just converted to quarts...correct?

If that's right, then it's way off. I put in grain that was 40 degrees at 160 and it was still too warm by the time I started.

I would also think that the tun volume would be the same as the water temp?

If that's right, then it's way off. I put in grain that was 40 degrees at 160 and it was still too warm by the time I started.

164.3F is your calculated strike temp. It's right there in your mash profile.

Tun temp may be the same as water temp. Depends on your methodology.

Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 3.25.52 PM.png

Instead of setting the tun temperature to the mash in temp, click off the box under the profile name where it says 'adjust temp for equipment'

Now the program will adjust for the temperature of the grains only.

...and lose a highly useful Strike temperature parameter.
Better to set the equipment profile correctly.
I almost always hit my mash temp on the nose by letting Beersmith calculate the strike water temp using my equipment profile, tun temp and grain temp...

Cheers!

Instead of setting the tun temperature to the mash in temp, click off the box under the profile name where it says 'adjust temp for equipment'

Now the program will adjust for the temperature of the grains only.

This did it.

Thanks all!

Back