Ph test strips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chungking

Reaction score
I want to test my starsan solution that has been sitting around for a month. Everyone on here says it should be < 3 pH.

I'm having trouble finding test strips with that range. There are some on amazon, but they have mixed reviews...

I just got some from a foreign seller on eBay for 99p.
Obviously they take a while to arrive but they seem to be accurate (I don't think there's really such a thing as cheap and inaccurate Litmus Paper).

The cleaning and sanitizing pod cast from Brew Strong mentions a visual way to tell - color maybe? I forget exactly but I think it's the guy from 5 star chemicals that says it.

I've read on here that whether it turns cloudy or not doesn't matter. It's about the pH. If its cloudy and still under 3pH, it's still good. How true is this?

The PH is the obvious true measure of viability. After all, the microbes can't tell if it is cloudy. :) However, it does get cloudy as it starts to break down. Will it be good for a week or a month or 2 months after it starts to cloud up? Maybe someone has tested to know for sure

Back