Is this really a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOctober

Reaction score
I just racked 10 gallons of Eds Pale Ale to two 5 gallon cornies. After which i gas and purge with CO2 for storage etc.....

Well Gosh darnit! I'm empty on CO2, so I droped off my #15 at the gas place, and the tank will not be ready till tomorrow.

Question, Is an the air in the corny going to oxidize or otherwise screw the beer?

I think all will be fine, I just need to be reassured.

Thanks in advance.

Take a deep breath, count backwards with me... 10 - 9 - 8- 7- 6- 5 - 4- 3- 2- 1

Everything will be fine.

Shouldn't be a problem lest you go sloshing them about.

Of course, you could always microwave some sugar water and prime. I do this often. Worst case your lid doesn't seat and you leak the CO2 but, the tank has been purged at that point.

Best case, all is well and by time your ready for the keg all that is needed is for it to chill to serving temps.

Well I had to carry them into the basement so I am sure they sloshed about a bit. But they are both in the fridge now, I think the priming idea is good, but by the time the cold beer starts to produce CO2 my tank will be here.

From my understanding exposing the beer to oxygen reduces the shelf life of the beer and that immediate effects aren't noticeable.

You know what this means?

You have to drink it faster!

just toss them in the fridge and hook up gas when you have your full tank and purge at that time, it'll be just dandy!

Back