Confession Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Confession: while I generally prefer my homebrews malt-forward, I find myself brewing IPAs simply because I must to be considered a 'legitimate' home brewer. Like, if I'm not dry-hopping a 5-gal batch with 30 pounds of hops, I feel I'm somehow not fulfilling my silent oath of allegiance to the brewing brotherhood.

Sheep...not a goat.

I eyeball my volumes and boil until it looks "about right".

I do the same, just started using a new larger kettle a few batches ago, and with a little experience post boil desired volume in the kettle is second nature.

Sometimes if I'm a bit over volume I fill a bottle or two and bottle prime with sugar.

So I was done brewing by about 12:30. The starter had only been going 21.5 hours, and no cold crash, no decanting the wort off the crashed yeast. I just took the starter off the stir plate, fixed the stir bar w/ a magnet, and poured just over a liter of starter into the wort.

We'll see. :)

TWICE my stir bar has made it's journey all the way thru to bottling day because I forgot to magnet fix it to flask! So now I have 3 stir bars because I thought I lost them and bought new... Shouldn't I have learned the first time?

I've made nothing but mistakes from laziness and stupidity and it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one that isn't an Anal retentive a**hole about brewing[emoji482]

And hope you can KEEP laughing when this stuff happens to you!

I've made nothing but mistakes from laziness and stupidity and it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one that isn't an Anal retentive a**hole about brewing[emoji482]

...or about posting. :mug:

I haven't brewed in over a year... thats not the bad part. So I do about 70% or so of my brewing with a friend as we got into this together and have shared the hobby since our first batch of a "at least its drinkable" stout. Last year we both got married and all that and this year has been full of just.... stuff.. Ive made excuses and just chose not to brew. Well..... Ive had a dunkel in secondary for right at 12 months now as well as 5 gallons of apfelwein going on close to 14 months. Ive at least kept the airlocks topped off and both appear clean of infection still. Going to plunge back in and keg them this weekend and see what Ive done. Anyone had batch set this long and it at least be drinkable?

I haven't brewed in over a year... thats not the bad part. So I do about 70% or so of my brewing with a friend as we got into this together and have shared the hobby since our first batch of a "at least its drinkable" stout. Last year we both got married and all that and this year has been full of just.... stuff.. Ive made excuses and just chose not to brew. Well..... Ive had a dunkel in secondary for right at 12 months now as well as 5 gallons of apfelwein going on close to 14 months. Ive at least kept the airlocks topped off and both appear clean of infection still. Going to plunge back in and keg them this weekend and see what Ive done. Anyone had batch set this long and it at least be drinkable?

Well, it probably won't kill you!

Ive had a dunkel in secondary for right at 12 months now as well as 5 gallons of apfelwein going on close to 14 months. Ive at least kept the airlocks topped off and both appear clean of infection still. Going to plunge back in and keg them this weekend and see what Ive done. Anyone had batch set this long and it at least be drinkable?

Well, I will admit, I have a stout cold crashing in a secondary in my garage fridge for a little over a year. airlock still full, and its been in the dark @ 31 degrees for that year.
Might be time to carb it up ehh?

I bet the apfelwien will be just fine...maybe even awesome... I had a cyser in primary for a little over a year once...oh, wait, twice...my current one has been in there for I think that long... The first one was probably the best mead I've ever made! Been waiting for my new kegerator to package out the second/current one...hoping it will be as good!

Well, I will admit, I have a stout cold crashing in a secondary in my garage fridge for a little over a year. airlock still full, and its been in the dark @ 31 degrees for that year.
Might be time to carb it up ehh?

Good to see that at least a few others have had some very prolonged secondary holding times. Kegging both saturday so sometime next weekend or so Ill be brave enough to try the beer, the apfelwein Im not worried about in the slightest.

I confess. I have never used starsan. No sanitizers here, other than a splash of bleach to sanitize my bottling bucket. Everything else gets sanitized with near boiling water. I always siphon by mouth. I have never had an infected beer.

I confess, I don't check my FG until I'm bottling.

Me either, mostly because i don't have an easy way to get a small sample from my carboys. I normally leave them on the yeast for 4 weeks and go to kegs or bottles without issue.

I just dump my stir bar in with the starter and retrieve it when racking/kegging/bottling

I had extra magnets when I made my stir plate, and I superglued one to the outside of my stater flask at a level I can reach the stir bar with when it gets stuck to it. Keep the magnet down when pitching and it catches the stir bar every time. After cleaning flask and stir bar, it goes back there so I never loose it when I box it up.

I never let my priming sugar cool. I boil it for 5 minutes, dump it in the bottling bucket, and rack the beer on top of it. Theoretically I guess I'm killing a few yeast cells before the beer + priming solution reaches a temperature that won't kill yeast, but they don't complain much...

I never let my priming sugar cool. I boil it for 5 minutes, dump it in the bottling bucket, and rack the beer on top of it. Theoretically I guess I'm killing a few yeast cells before the beer + priming solution reaches a temperature that won't kill yeast, but they don't complain much...

I did the opposite one time (had other things to do) and by the time I poured the priming sugar water in it was a thick syrup resulting in under-carbonated homebrew.

I just pitched my yeast into my boil kettle and put the lid back on this batch. No temperature control, no moving off the trub, no nothing.

In my defense, I was stricken by the plague and went from mildly stuffed up to bed ridden in about 3 hours during the brew day. Still will be an interesting experiment.

I just pitched my yeast into my boil kettle and put the lid back on this batch. No temperature control, no moving off the trub, no nothing.

In my defense, I was stricken by the plague and went from mildly stuffed up to bed ridden in about 3 hours during the brew day. Still will be an interesting experiment.

I have memory of John Palmer having a friend who typically ferments this way. Positive pressure out means no baddies in.

Back