Bottling wort for starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plan9

Reaction score
I heard that there was an article or podcast from Papazian about making wort, and bottling it to use later for starters.
Does anyone have a link to this, or can give me the overview?

You basically just can it like vegetables. How you make it is up to you. You can use 1/2 DME to 2 cups water and boil, or if you run off a little extra from a mash. Then you can it in canning jars. Wikipedia Home Canning

I remember reading somewhere that since botulism spores can survive in wort (b/c of its pH) you should use a pressure canner or autoclave rather than the boiling water bath recommended in some books. Basically, you have to get the temp above boiling (120C) for an extended period to destroy any spores that might be around.

PS for more info, do a google search on "low-acid canning" or check out the USDA guidelines...we don't want anyone getting botulism from their hobby!

I thought I had heard of Papazian using standard bottles, and not going through the whole process of canning. I must have understood that wrong.

Papa Charlie explains exactly how he does it in The Complete Joy Of Home Brewing starting on page 264. He makes a highly hopped wort boiled for 30 minutes, stains the hops out and boils for 10 more minutes. Then he pours the boiling wort into preheated sanitized bottles and caps immediately and allows to cool before storing in the frige. He has been doing this for over 20 years without a problem, but I guess that is no guarantee against botulism.

Regular canning and refrigerating is ok, if you were not planning on refrigerating then botulism would be a huge concern.

I pressure cook mine and store them at room temperature, just crack them open and pitch your yeast for an instant starter.

BREW N QUE said:
Papa Charlie explains exactly how he does it in The Complete Joy Of Home Brewing starting on page 264. He makes a highly hopped wort boiled for 30 minutes, stains the hops out and boils for 10 more minutes. Then he pours the boiling wort into preheated sanitized bottles and caps immediately and allows to cool before storing in the frige. He has been doing this for over 20 years without a problem, but I guess that is no guarantee against botulism.

Yep, it's right there in the book. You'd think I would have looked there first.
It seems that he is doing this to store dormant yeast, but I would think this method could also be used for pitching Wyeast.
Anything I'm missing?

I've used my pressure canner and left-over light DME or LME.
step 1) make wort on stovetop with no hops
step 2) adjust to 1.040 with previously boiled water
step 3) fill boiled pint jars (and quart jars) following directions from canning book
step 4) pressure can as per canner instructions

Then when done I put it on shelf. About 4 days before brewing my smack pack and a pint jar of starter go into a gallon cider jug and get shaken and airlocked. I swish them every so often. 2 days later I add a quart jar of starter and shake, then swish occasionally. 24 hours before brewing, put in back of fridge. Pour beer off top and pitch large volume of yeast.

This works pretty well. I think I could use less starter if I used a stir plate.

Really I did it in the fall when I was canning things so it would be easier to do starters. It means on the days when I am just doing a starter I don't need all my equipment out, just crack a jar...

Why go to all the trouble of sterilizing, canning, etc when you can just freeze it in milk jugs then thaw & boil it before making the starter?

maltMonkey said:
Why go to all the trouble of sterilizing, canning, etc when you can just freeze it in milk jugs then thaw & boil it before making the starter?

I put the DME yeast nutrient and water into the canning jars and pressure cook them at 15PSI for 15 minutes. Let them cool and put them in the pantry.

If I want to make a starter I pop the top on however many I need (they are already at room temp) and dump thm into my flask or jug and pitch the yeast and on the stir plate it goes. Less than 5 minutes total with cleanup. Its like McDonalds for wort :D

11999-canning009.jpg

I put the DME yeast nutrient and water into the canning jars and pressure cook them at 15PSI for 15 minutes. Let them cool and put them in the pantry.

If I want to make a starter I pop the top on however many I need (they are already at room temp) and dump thm into my flask or jug and pitch the yeast and on the stir plate it goes. Less than 5 minutes total with cleanup. Its like McDonalds for wort :D

That looks good!! I am trying the same thing. But where did you get your 15 minute number?? I have never canned before, but when I look at canning recipes they seem to indicate you need much more time for 'botulism sensitive' foods.
With 'broths', which would be comparable to wort, it recommends 25 min/quart with 10psi (under 1000 ft), would 15psi bring that time down? Or are you at high altitudes?

thanks!

Back