Birthday Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedaler

Reaction score
So in about a month I'm having friends over for my 22nd birthday, and it just dawned on me that I should definitely brew a batch strictly for the party. Any ideas on a good style and recipe for an occasion such as this? I've already brewed an American pale ale, and oatmeal porter, and an American wheat. I have the capability of doing partial mash brewing with about 4-5 lbs of grain. Also, I asked this question in my Introduction post, but has anyone tried the wet towel/fan cooling method with the food grade plastic fermenter? I know it won't work as well as if it were glass, but I really just need to cool the fermenting temperature about 5-7 degree F.

With only a month, your choices are limited to styles that work well at relatively low gravities, Brown ales, Extra Special Bitters, Bitters, Milds. You could do a Pale, but keep the gravity under 1.050.

The wet towel trick works fine with a bucket. The surface area is so high relative to the amount of cooling required that glass or plastic, it doesn't matter.

Yeah a pale ale would be good, I'd like to re-try that style since my very first brew was a pale ale and turned out not so great. Any good recipes that you guys like? I'm not a big hop head, so something with moderate IBUs would be good.

Try this one. Nice and mild, not too hoppy, and quite refreshing.

Instead of all that 2-row, you can just go with ~7ish lbs of pale LME and steep the grains like a full extract brew.

Back