My pre-brew experiment...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyinBrewer

Reaction score
I'm probably going to get flamed for this. But oh well.

This was NOT done for the same reasons that "beginner" did in the DIY forum for those who read this kid's post.

This was done to test the process for brewing/fermenting

I bought some organic fresh squeezed apple juice, and some baker's yeast.

Yep, hooch, BUT it turned out to be a decent dry cider (I think)

I sanitized a 2L bottle and cap, and racked 3/4 gallon of the juice into it. I made a started with the yeast (warm water and sugar) then pitched it. I shook it vigrously for 2 mintues. I made an airock with straws and a cup of boiled water.

I had a good krausen on the juice the next day. I left it in the primary for 4 days, then racked it into another sanitized 2L bottle w/ some sugar solution for secondary/priming.

Just drank a small glass of it. It sort of tastes like champagne. Meaning its sparkling and somewhat dry. SG is about 1.002. I didn't take an OG.

I'd call it a success. A small success that fits perfectly the definition of hooch. But good tasting refined hooch is essentially what we are all aiming for here lol.

Mike

lol i'm having glass #2 now. I'll definitely use brewer's yeast next time. According to my hydrometer, this stuff is about 8% ABV

good on ya, flyin. we texans are some crazya@@es, and we drink stuff that would make the fda gag and the cdc choke.... :ban:

"The Good Lord willing and a green bush within 10 miles and we'll have something to drink tomorrow." - unknown -

Why would you think you'd get flamed? You're experimenting. No harm in that.

Hell, I started with hooch, too, fermenting berries, water, sugar and Red Star bread yeast in a bucket. It'd stain your teeth purple, but MAN - it'd wreck your head! :)

I hope you enjoy your hooch!

Cheers,

Bob

I'm probably going to get flamed for this. But oh well.
You're right to be concerned. EdWort got flamed for about 680 pages, down in the winemaking forum, for trying to promote a similar recipe. I'm surprised he shows his face around here anymore.

Back