Batch Sparge Volume Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
I measured my volume after the mash, which was 2.8 gallons. I calculated that I needed 4.2 gallons for my batch sparge water. After the boil, I ended up with 4 gallons instead of 5.

Okay, so here's the question. Do the grains still account for .1 gallon loss during the sparge (this had 9.75 lb. of grains), along with the roughly .5 gallons dead space in my MLT? In that case, my sparge volume should have been 5.7 gallons, right?

You should get out very close to what you put in for the sparge since the grains have absorbed water already and the deadspace is filled already.
I would guess your preboil volume was correct and your boil rate was too high but it is hard to say.

I would recommending measuring the preboil volume directly.

you need to account for all empty variables(head space, boil off, etc) and full variables (ammount after mash, sparge)....

cheers

You should get out very close to what you put in for the sparge since the grains have absorbed water already and the deadspace is filled already.
I would guess your preboil volume was correct and your boil rate was too high but it is hard to say.

I would recommending measuring the preboil volume directly.

I think you're right, it was a cold night, and I was boiling outside, my boil rate was likely off.

Back