Keg level indicator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demus

Reaction score
Greetings!
I've been off the forum for a while and wondering if anyone has come up with any cool new ways of monitoring beer levels in their kegs. I've got a 4-keg chest freezer pumping through taps in a wall so it's not exactly convenient to lift them out and look for the condensation! I'm hoping for some sort of digital readout right where I can see it....

:mug:

Nicest setup I came up with is a digital scale wired up to an arduino. Wire an LCD mounted above each tap programmed to alight when the keg has a beer left (based on weight of keg plus 16 oz). In the past, I've also programmed to light up when 30% remains so I get another brew day planned, but I've got a reasonable pipeline setup that I prefer the one beer warning.

If you wanted to get real slick, you could even create a readout interface via tablet or whatnot that shows each keg visually with remaining volume calculated from the weight.

Nicest setup I came up with is a digital scale wired up to an arduino. Wire an LCD mounted above each tap programmed to alight when the keg has a beer left (based on weight of keg plus 16 oz). In the past, I've also programmed to light up when 30% remains so I get another brew day planned, but I've got a reasonable pipeline setup that I prefer the one beer warning.

If you wanted to get real slick, you could even create a readout interface via tablet or whatnot that shows each keg visually with remaining volume calculated from the weight.

REALLLLLLY sick wold be a WiFi level transmitter using a float and potentiometer (sic?).

Weight is probably the best monitor, as it requires no modifications to the kegs, or anything in the beer. Need to have a way to tare the kegs before filling for best accuracy.

Brew on :mug:

I know for sure I've read on here in a post or two of some sort of slick tap based volume through recording meter. I don't have any links nor the time and energy to search it for you, but I swear I've read of one or two people using this mentioned method.

I can imagine, with everything being digital these days, that it's only a matter of time before companies like Perlick have a digital readout on the side of the tap that can be reset and begin to read the amount of fluid that has passed through to give a general estimate as to when a keg is getting near empty.

Rev.

He didn't say he was looking for the cheap option, just something new and cool. RaspberryPints is both new, and very cool.

But +1 on the "entry fee" being prohibitive.

He didn't say he was looking for the cheap option, just something new and cool. RaspberryPints is both new, and very cool.

But +1 on the "entry fee" being prohibitive.

Yeah, if you got the budget, and like the bling, then RPints with flow meters is way cool.

So with these flow meters you can monitor the keg levels? I really don't care about the other features; I know what's in my kegs. I just want to know how much I have left!!

So with these flow meters you can monitor the keg levels? I really don't care about the other features; I know what's in my kegs. I just want to know how much I have left!!

You need to hook the flow meters up to some kind of computer that will keep track of how much beer the keg started with, and then subtract from the starting total the quantity dispensed at each pour. And, it needs a way to display this information. The flow meters are just the sensors in a measurement and display system.

Check out
my RaspberryPints tap list .
Been running the flow meters since June, and they are amazingly accurate. Kegs kick within a few ounces of reading empty...

Cheers!

Check out
my RaspberryPints tap list .
Been running the flow meters since June, and they are amazingly accurate. Kegs kick within a few ounces of reading empty...

Cheers!

Wow,
Very nice. Where do you display this? Would an iPad and or iPhone do the trick? Where do the sensors mount? I have a 4 tap keezer that pumps through a wall in my kitchen. How much $$ would I be looking at?

I'm away from home for a few days else I'd post pics that would answer your questions. In the meantime you could check out the two RaspberryPints threads where you will see lots of folks' implementations.

Cost would be around $60 plus meters. I got mine used which was a major savings.

I have a 19" 4:3 monitor displaying the tap list perched atop my 6 tap t tower.

Meters sit on top of each keg in the coil of beer line...

Cheers!

Pics would be great! I'm in no huge hurry. In the mean time could you explain a bit more how this works? Are there wires to run? The website is pretty limited...

REALLLLLLY sick wold be a WiFi level transmitter using a float and potentiometer (sic?).

You know, that doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do... Build a float with a pot into a corny lid, read the resistance in the pot and determine liquid level. Various electronic options to just show level on the lid with a small 5 LED indicator, bluetooth, wi-fi, USB. Since you wouldn't need to constantly monitor like you do with a flow meter, the LED-only lid could last a very long time on a small battery.

EDIT: Found a 50 kg load cell that will interface with an Arduino for ~$10 (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10245). Probably lots of others available as well.

Brew on :mug:[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering how one would go about placing this under the keg for the best reading? I already have an Arduino Mega running other stuff in my bar, I've got tons of I/O left too.

There is nothing more disappointing than when you're pouring a pint, your glass is half full, and you get the "phfft-phfft-ththththththtththth" of foam:drunk:

Ok, a new Complete keg volume system is now officially in the works. I guess with this, and my mills and brewing gear, and gas distribution stuff I will just start building and selling things. Well crap, and now the project begins. lol.:rockin:

I list my ounces on a dry erase board (384 for my 3 gallons) and subtract whatever I take out. Sometimes it's just a 2 oz sample and sometimes it's a 16 ozer....it's not deadly accurate but it's free and immediate. It gives me a ballpark of when I need to brew again.

Ok,
From ss floats to scales to dry erase boards it seems to me the flow meter concept has the most potential. Anything internal to the keg would require drilling holes which is just not a good idea in a pressure vessel. Scales would have to sit it the bottom of ice crusted chest freezers likely causing accuracy issues. Not to mention the wiring and calibration problems. The dry erase board is well, lame! What a buzz kill to write down each pull of the tap... C'mon man!! But electronic flow meters mounted where ever they fit along the lines of your system, either wired or wireless seem to have potential. A simple digital display like an old calculator would be fine by me but those with fancier needs could easily send the output to all manner of computerized gizmo. Any of you techies out there inspired to set this up? I'm buying!

Ok,
From ss floats to scales to dry erase boards it seems to me the flow meter concept has the most potential. Anything internal to the keg would require drilling holes which is just not a good idea in a pressure vessel. Scales would have to sit it the bottom of ice crusted chest freezers likely causing accuracy issues. Not to mention the wiring and calibration problems. The dry erase board is well, lame! What a buzz kill to write down each pull of the tap... C'mon man!! But electronic flow meters mounted where ever they fit along the lines of your system, either wired or wireless seem to have potential. A simple digital display like an old calculator would be fine by me but those with fancier needs could easily send the output to all manner of computerized gizmo. Any of you techies out there inspired to set this up? I'm buying!
It already exists, and is call RaspberryPints (it's based on a Raspberry Pi tiny computer). There is a link earlier in the thread.

Great question. We test every float at 30 psi for a two to three days before they are shipped. That said, we do recommend in our instructions that it be installed after carbonating as some regulators are a little sketchy on pressure control. If you have good control, it won't be an issue, but make sure you stay at or slightly below 30 psi.

Good enough, Thanks!

Was just looking @ the potential for one less opening of the keg.

'Nother question: I see you look into the keg to "capture" the magnetic field.
Is the float ball prone to hanging @ the edge of the beer surface, or would you need a visual on it to "couple" it?

That said, have you captured the float, ( closed keg), with a larger, more powerful magnet, then attached the "indicator" magnet?

Great question. We test every float at 30 psi for a two to three days before they are shipped. That said, we do recommend in our instructions that it be installed after carbonating as some regulators are a little sketchy on pressure control. If you have good control, it won't be an issue, but make sure you stay at or slightly below 30 psi.

Good to know. Thx.

We include a larger "capture" magnet with the kit so it is pretty easy to catch hold of the float. It probably helps to have a visual the first time or two you do it.

The floater is about 3" in diameter and wouldn't fit the opening in a Sanke.

I got one as a gift recently. I was pretty excited to get it.

The finish on the floater could be better - the spot where the ballast liquid and magnet were inserted could be smoother - it's full of books and crannies. I soaked it in starsan for a good while.

Also, the outer orange magnet falls off extremely easily. I set it up while I was filling the keg and it kept falling off as the float would rise. I gave up after the fifth time and waited until it was full to line it up again. Even then it fell off when I bumped the keg lifting it into my kegerator. Luckily they sent 5 of those (though I did eventually find it).

We will see how well it works with normal use. I am worried that a long fill like when filling a pitcher will result in the orange indicator falling off. But I don't fill pitchers often and I am still hopeful that this works as I'd love to have at least some kind of reasonable indicator for how full/empty my kegs are.

The floater is about 3" in diameter and wouldn't fit the opening in a Sanke.

I got one as a gift recently. I was pretty excited to get it.

The finish on the floater could be better - the spot where the ballast liquid and magnet were inserted could be smoother - it's full of books and crannies. I soaked it in starsan for a good while.

Also, the outer orange magnet falls off extremely easily. I set it up while I was filling the keg and it kept falling off as the float would rise. I gave up after the fifth time and waited until it was full to line it up again. Even then it fell off when I bumped the keg lifting it into my kegerator. Luckily they sent 5 of those (though I did eventually find it).

We will see how well it works with normal use. I am worried that a long fill like when filling a pitcher will result in the orange indicator falling off. But I don't fill pitchers often and I am still hopeful that this works as I'd love to have at least some kind of reasonable indicator for how full/empty my kegs are.

Thanks for your comments, ff you still have the directions that came with the unit, take a look at them again. Otherwise, you can check them out on our website. The video is helpful.

The instructions should tell you to install the float in the keg after you fill it. They should also suggest that you leave the black disc magnet attached to the keg while you move it into your kegerator. This magnet will hold the float tightly to the inside wall of the keg while you move it. Once the keg is in place, you can quickly slip the orange indicator bead onto the keg. It should work quite smoothly this way.

We've had great feedback on the units we have sold thus far so I would expect it should work well for you now that you have the keg in place in your kegerator.

We recently came out with a new version that uses a smaller float and has a cleaner finish. Those became available just this week.

Look forward to an update after you pour a few beers.

Cheers,

Ball and Keg team

Thanks for your comments, ff you still have the directions that came with the unit, take a look at them again. Otherwise, you can check them out on our website. The video is helpful.

The instructions should tell you to install the float in the keg after you fill it. They should also suggest that you leave the black disc magnet attached to the keg while you move it into your kegerator. This magnet will hold the float tightly to the inside wall of the keg while you move it. Once the keg is in place, you can quickly slip the orange indicator bead onto the keg. It should work quite smoothly this way.

We've had great feedback on the units we have sold thus far so I would expect it should work well for you now that you have the keg in place in your kegerator.

We recently came out with a new version that uses a smaller float and has a cleaner finish. Those became available just this week.

Look forward to an update after you pour a few beers.

Cheers,

Ball and Keg team

Thanks for the recap. I had rest the instructions but didn't see why it wouldn't work while filling? I transfer from my fermenters into the keg via the beer out post - the keg having previously been filled with starsan and purged with CO2. So I had dropped the float in when I filled it with sanitizer but before I purged it with CO2 and thought it would be cool to see how close I was getting to the top since I fill with the lid on.

I had forgotten about the part about leaving the black magnet on while moving. I'll own user error and just glancing at the instructions :cheers:

Back