What types of beer for warmer temps??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
Just as the title asks. I do not have a way, other than a swamp cooler to get the temps down below 72ish all year round. Is there a better type of yeast, type of beer to brew that will not give off the esters that occur when the fermentation is at a 70-75 degree temp? I mostly brew IPAs, and Stouts.

Belgian yeast does well in higher temps, but your typical ale yeast is going to suffer. Unfortunately, nobody has come out with a yeast strain that is temperature resistant in that way.

Might be a good idea to shoot for beers/yeasts that are on-style at that range of fermentation temperatures. Right now I am doing an ESB using Wyeast 1968 that should be ideal in the 70-74 range.

Most higher temp yeasts will still give esters at those temps. The swamp cooler is not a bad thing if you can afford to feed it frozen pop bottles every day.

It's just impossible to get a clean-tasting beer without the lower temps. I'm personally going to be looking for yard sale dorm fridge this summer so I can build a lagering chest with it's parts.

US-05, S-04, S-33 and Wyeast 1335 all work well up to 75 degrees. I use them all summer long without a problem.

Cooper's yeast ferments fairly clean in the 70s. You might want to try to culture it from a bottle because the dry packaged product is not very good (and according to a lot of people not even the right strain).

I use the hell out of US-05. I guess I will be resorting to the swamp cooler method, or I may go the same route Yooper is using with the "Ice Box" cooler with the foam lid and frozen water bottles. Thanks for the info guys.

Back