Low OG Beer with Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macabra11

Reaction score
OK, I know there are a ton of posts about stuck fermentation, but I could not find a suitable answer for my situation.
I made an English Mild with an OG of 1.036 (which is what I wanted). I aerated well and sprinkled in a packet of Windsor dry yeast. Started fermentation at 63º and let it rise up to 65º, where I left it for 10 days. Tested the gravity and it was 1.019 (target FG is 1.010). Swirled the carboy and raised temp to 72º for another 10 days. Still at 1.019. I had read mixed advise about whether to rehydrate the yeast or not, so I just sprinkled it in like I do with my SafeAle beers (always turn out great).
What can I do now to get the gravity down more? Here is my recipe and I hit all my temps. I ended up getting better efficiency and had to dilute my wort with sanitized water (which made my OG perfect).

6.5 lbs Maris Otter
0.5 lbs Crystal 60
0.25 lbs Crystal 120
0.38 lbs Chocolate
0.9 oz Williamette 4.8%AA @ 60 mins
Danstar Windsor Yeast
Mashed @ 155º for 60 mins - Batch Sparge

But..............I bet it tastes really, really good! At 2.2% ABV, you can definitely drink a lot of them, too.

The high mash temp is probably 3/4 of the problem, and the Windsor yeast the other 1/4 of the problem. Also, if your themometer is even 2 degrees off, you could have mashed at 157 or so which would compound the issue.

You could wait a bit and see if you could coax a few more points out of it, but my guess is that it won't budge.

Yeah, I've been "coaxing" for about 3 weeks now. I think my efforts would be futile. It does taste pretty good. It is the first time I have ever even had an english mild. It's like a higher class, British version of a BMC beer - really easy to drink, but with flavor.

My thermometer is pretty spot on (I sometimes check it with other thermometers), but it was my first time trying a Danstar yeast. If I use it again, I will pitch two packs and try mashing at 153º instead. I just thought 1 pack was sufficient for such a low OG.

Back