Identify this hop!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

These hops are...

• Fuggle

• Hallertau

• Doesn't matter, you're and idiot and waited to long to pick them...

Results are only viewable after voting.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have three varaities in my garden, and I know one of them.. ha

here is the only good producer i had this year... can anyone identify it?
Plus, they maybe hung a little long on the vine, and started to turn, is this going to affect the taste? Should I use them?

food_017_Large_.jpg

Your choices are Hallertau or Fuggle

Also, this is a pic of something that was in the bag with my hops after i picked them, is it a mite of some sort? or just some crap that fell off?

food_018_Large_.jpg

thanks!

If you make a tea out of it, you may be able to identify them by aroma.

I grow hallertau but have not used or grow fuggle. The cone shape is similar to my hallertau but I did notice that almost all of those cones were kind of "flat" being notably wider one way than they were another. It stood out to me and they pretty much all grew like that. I don't know how close their aroma is but hallertau has that "sweet hay" aroma that I could recognize in an instant. These varieties are not known for their yeild, so what looks like a bumper crop will probably end up being an oz. Happened to me this year with the hallertau. If you know the difference in aroma between the two it should be easy to detect.

And BTW, your cones look just about perfect for harvest. The beginning of browning is a good barometer for ripeness IMO.

Can you get more pics? I have hallertau to compare against but I would need to see many samples of the cones and the plant (the various leaves) as they have slight variations between varieties. Once single cone (or leaf) can really look like any other variety. Need to see a bunch to get a good idea. Once you go through the process of trying to identify plants :D you start to notice these differences more and more.

Making tea helps with AA% and biting cones and pellets helps with getting through SWMBO's mom's dinner, but pulling the cone apart, breaking the glands apart and discertaining what you smell is the best way to tell them apart. I've found that the nobles and their hybrids are the hardest to tell apart. The good news is that they all smell great and will make great beer.

Back