Homebrewing as a Gift - Your Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConorE728

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am sure that many of you have given your homebrew as a gift, but I was wondering if any of you have given it as a groomsmen gift?

I am thinking of getting some pint glasses made up and giving each groomsman and our fathers a set of 6 glasses and a 6 pack. Just wanted to throw that out there to see what people thought, whether any of you have done it, and if you have, where you got the glasses from.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks,

Conor

I'm sure I've seen a related thread about it before. I say go for it. It would probably be appreciated by most.

I haven't done it, but it sounds like a great idea. The only issue is do they like homebrew and / or specialty beers? I don't think it's worth giving as a gift to people who only drink Coors lite. They wont appreciate the gift, and you'll be disappointed that they didn't like your beer. I've gotten disappointing results letting light beer drinkers try my homebrew. You see, you might think that people drink light beer because it's cheaper, when in reality they actually like it.

I know I'd like it better than most of the useless trinkets that seem to be given for these gifts.

Might want to check out this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f46/custom-pint-glasses-114174/

EDIT: FWIW, I'd do something memorable but not cheesy for the glass design (in other words, no "Conor & Mrs. Conor, August xx, 2009"). But that's just me ;)

And congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

i 2nd the no lame glass
I got a beer glass for a groomsmens gift once that had my name and their wedding date. I'd much preferred a plain one :)

But you should make them with your brewery logo/name.

Since you are also giving pint glasses, I think it is a great idea. I third the idea of a good image on the glass, brewery logo would be sweet.

No lame glasses, but good ones could be nice. When I got married, I gave my groomsmen these really nice (expensive) lead crystal beer mugs. On them, I had their names etched in a old style font. I thought they were super nice and wish I had gotten one for myself. Everyone says they are their favorite glass to drink out of.

Of course, homebrew to go along with it is a must. I wasn't a homebrewer at the time so none for my groomsmen...

They looked just like these ones but I went with a name rather than initials and it looked better.

https://www.tomsglassworks.com/beer-mugs/519.htm

In the months I've been here there's been quite a few threads on giving homebrew/meads/wines as groomsman gifts, so you won't be doing something freaky....

I don't know why some are against the glass (etched or otherwise) but I think putting together a gift basket with a selection of your best beers, a decent bottle opener (because I have found a LOT of people don't own one these days since BMC is all in twist-offs or cans, and sometimes when I have brought homebrew they have trouble opening it) AND a proper beer glass (or even a couple if you are giving different styles of beer, like a pint, a belgian goblet, etc.)

Heck even maybe some cheese,crackers and chocolate (if you are including a stout) with info on pairing which to which beer....

When I give gifts of my beers for holidays, I use bottle hanging tags, instead of traditional labels, I think they give the bottles (even 12 ouncers) a "classier" look.

I designed the template and it is freely available online. Thanks to Morotorium

Bottle%20tags.jpg

Each tag is approx 2 inches wide, and the text area after the fold is about 5 inches.

I don't like to glue labels on, especially since I spend so much time removing them (Although some folks swear by milk as label glue). So I like the idea of a hanging tag that slips over the neck of the bottle and hangs there. I printed it out on thick photopaper. All you need to do is cut them out, cut out the hole for the neck (or just make 2 slits at the cross) and fold it downword.

You just basically need to stick a graphic in each space, and add your own text to the text blocks...Or move stuff around and add your own text boxes wherever you want it.

Here's the links from MoRoToRiUm
Sample

Template

They all love different beers, so I don't think the light beer problem will come into play. I also have plenty of time to brew two different beers, so I could do one on the light side and one on the dark side.

Oh don't worry, I have no intention of putting something lame on the glass.

Back